Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2006 power lift gate stopped working

Old 05-26-2006, 02:04 AM
Default 2006 power lift gate stopped working

Hello everyone, I am new to the forums but a loyal chrysler consumer. I recently traded in my 2001 300M for an 06 Town and country touring spring edition.
Had it about a month with no problems, except for today when I tried to open the power lift gate nothing happened, I tried using the overhead console switch as well as the button on the key and neither one worked. I tried opening the door manually and then tried having it power close but this failed as well, I made sure there was nothing obstructing the door from opening or closing (the back was completely empty).
I tried this several times even tried driving it a short distance and tried opening it again but nothing.

The strange thing is I just tried it again this evening and the power liftgate opened fine.
Has anyone seen this happen before, anyone know what might have caused this.
Hopefully it was just a fluke and won't happen again, but I thought I would check to see if was something common or not.
Thanks in advanced for your input

Spencer

Old 05-26-2006, 11:43 AM
Default RE: 2006 power lift gate stopped working

More likely than not there probably a short somewhere you wanna have the dealer look at just to be sure.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:46 PM

a few issues i have seen with the motor and gear in the left pillar, where the arm attaches to. kinda funny to see this post, i have a customers van in our shop right now with same issue but this one opens and will not close. parts are becoming scarce and hard to get. get checked out soon. around Detroit area we have seen a few of these concerns.

Xtreme

Old 09-03-2006, 10:33 PM

I've noticed on occasion when I try to remotely open or close the rear hatch it strts and the reverses. There are no obstructions and trying again usuually succeeds. I figure I'll have it checked when I bring it in for my free oil change,,,

Old 06-29-2013, 03:57 PM

My liftgate won't open under any circumstances. The fob, overhead switch, and key get a response but they don't open the liftgate. This is troubling because I need my spare tire.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Default 2006 towne and country - Popping noise when opening lift gate

Lift gate has popping noise when it begins to open whether opening it manually or using keyfob. Also, there is a wide gap on left side between lift gate and quarter panel. Other than the popping noise and gap, it functions normally. Any ideas? Is there an adjustment that needs made somewhere?

Bought the van used, the lift gate was fine until about 6 months after I bought it.

Thank you.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:25 AM

You might try disconnecting the battery and leave it disconnected for about 15 min and then try it. I had trouble with my 2005 Dodge GC door locks working and I read that suggestion and tried it and it worked. Some times the computer gets messed up and that resets it. It's worth a try.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by rugggy@comcast.net
Lift gate has popping noise when it begins to open whether opening it manually or using keyfob. Also, there is a wide gap on left side between lift gate and quarter panel. Other than the popping noise and gap, it functions normally. Any ideas? Is there an adjustment that needs made somewhere?

Bought the van used, the lift gate was fine until about 6 months after I bought it.

Thank you.
If there is a wide gap, it sounds like that's the problem. Have you tried to loosen the screws holding the tailgate and reline it to eliminate the gap?

Old 09-01-2013, 03:34 PM

Hi Marine1,

I replaced the lift gate struts and that took care of the popping noise. I found this video on youtube, same situation as mine. There is still a gap on the one side, but everything is working fine now.

Thank you kindly for your suggestion.