Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2006 T&C Power Locks fraking out

Old 07-04-2015, 10:35 PM
Default 2006 T&C Power Locks fraking out

Did a quick search and found one thread with a similar issue but no answer so figured I'd post it again and see if I can get an answer. My 2006 T&C seems to have a poltergeist, the power locks cycle for no apparent reason. I can reproduce the issue by putting down the driver side window. Locks will lock and unlock, did it tonight driving home, lock kept cycling over and over again. No idea what's causing it other than maybe a grounding issue or a bad relay. Just looking at the door panel, it doesn't appear that the locks and power window switches should be connected since they aren't part of the same switch module. The car doesn't need to be running for the problem to occur, kids opened the sliders tonight and the locks started cycling over and over. Oldest son said he heard the locks locking and unlocking when the car was parked in the driveway and no one was doing anything with it. Any thoughts on where to start looking for the problem would definitely be appreciated.

Stu

Old 07-05-2015, 11:28 AM
Default Update to thread, still looking for an answer

So I pulled both door panels this morning to see if I could figure out what's going on. Passenger side switch does not operate the door locks although it will work if swapped over to driver's side. Also noticed that cycling the locks repeatedly will eventually make the locks stop working for a few seconds, almost like the actuators get tired and need to rest. Same for power windows, cycling more than about 3 times or so will make the window stop working, won't go up or down after that although that switch will still make the power locks cycle. Cleaned the battery terminals hoping there was some sort of grounding issue there, no change. Could really use some help on this one, I'm clueless and the only hint I've gotten through my searching is the switch that resides on the lock mechanism itself which makes the key lock and unlock all doors from outside although this seems to mostly be a problem with other models and years. Could that be the issue? and will disconnecting that switch make the problem go away confirming that it is the problem?

Stu

Old 07-05-2015, 12:30 PM

The first thing to do is remove the -Neg battery lead for 15 minutes then re-connect it. This will reset the processors but make sure you have your radio code available before you do it.
It may not fix your problem but that's always the first thing to try when you get glitches like this with Voyagers.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:26 PM

It appears that the driver's side power window switch module was bad and causing the issue. I couldn't for the life of me explain why but replacing the switch module cured the issue. Now so long as everything keeps working right the next couple of days I'll declare the poltergeist gone.

Stu

Old 07-06-2015, 09:26 PM
Default yet another update

So the issue has returned albeit a little differently this time. I'll try my best to describe what it's doing. Using the driver's window switch the locks are fine however opening or closing the pass window from either switch will cause the locks to cycle. Driving the car without opening windows the locks are fine, however sitting in the driveway this evening the locks started cycling for no apparent reason. I know the battery in the car is old so I replaced that tonight, left the battery disconnected for an hour before reconnecting and no change in the lock situation. Passenger side lock switch does not work at this stage of the game, the switch itself is fine and works when swapped over to driver's door. Needless to say the new switch I bought yesterday will be going back since it didn't fix the problem. Truthfully I can't see why it would since the circuits shouldn't be connect at all. Still seems to me like it must be a grounding issue somewhere and back feeding power from the window switch through the power locks. Any help here would be great.

Stu

Old 07-07-2015, 11:14 AM

I'm stumped. The only other thing I can suggest is to de-select the auto-locking function in the overhead display.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:15 PM

After all this I figured I'd give pulling the IDO fuse a shot. I assumed that leaving the battery disconnected for an hour or so last night should have done the same thing but figured I had nothing to lose. So I went out and tried that tonight, pulled the fuse for a full 30 seconds. Lo and behold all is right with the world again (or at least with the power lock system). We'll see how long it lasts but at least for now everything seems normal again. Any explanation as to what causes these issues with the computer or is it just one of those mysteries like bigfoot?

Stu