Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2008 T&C - cannot remove keyfob from ignition with the car off. Stuck in ACC position

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 08:15 AM
Default 2008 T&C - cannot remove keyfob from ignition with the car off. Stuck in ACC position

I have a 2008 Town & Country Touring. I searched the forums here but cannot find any threads on this..

When we stop the car and put it in park, we can only turn the key one notch over to ACC and not far enough to remove the keyfob. I have figured out that i have to play with the large silver button/switch on the shifter **** to eventually get it to "click" and then we can remove the key. The Shifter **** seems to be the reason for the problem, so is there a simple solution (part i can order and replace)? or do i have to pay out my ying-yang to get this fixed?

Ive been dealing with this for several months now. My wife hates it. I realize the fiddling with the large silver button on the shift **** will eventually make it worse.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

more then likely the shifter assembly needs to be replaced

Old 07-19-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by pete3000
I have a 2008 Town & Country Touring. I searched the forums here but cannot find any threads on this..

When we stop the car and put it in park, we can only turn the key one notch over to ACC and not far enough to remove the keyfob. I have figured out that i have to play with the large silver button/switch on the shifter **** to eventually get it to "click" and then we can remove the key. The Shifter **** seems to be the reason for the problem, so is there a simple solution (part i can order and replace)? or do i have to pay out my ying-yang to get this fixed?

Ive been dealing with this for several months now. My wife hates it. I realize the fiddling with the large silver button on the shift **** will eventually make it worse.

Thanks in advance!
Is the van out of warranty? I'd say your best bet is to let a dealer or a trusted mechanic deal with this. I don't know your mechanical background, but in case you haven't noticed, modern cars have become quite complex and it's easy to do more damage than repair when you start taking things apart. You could spend a large amount of time and money..., only to wind up having to have the vehicle towed to a dealer to be repaired anyway.

I'm not denigrating your repair abilities. I'm just saying to think and realize what you may be getting yourself into. You wouldn't want your newly repaired shifter falling apart when you're a hundred or so miles from home, or suddenly having the steering wheel lock up as you're on the expressway.