Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 T&C Power liftgate clunking

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 11:03 AM
Default 2008 T&C Power liftgate clunking

Hi guys,

Our van is experiencing a clunking noise when being opened using the power motor vs opening by hand. Upon inspection, it appears the chain has much slack in it and isjumping teeth on the sprockets in the mechanism. Is there any adjustment thatwill take up the slack in the chain? If not, what is the repair for this issueif anyone can help. Thanks for any info.

Lou

Old 07-10-2014, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by StratLou
Hi guys,

Our van is experiencing a clunking noise when being opened using the power motor vs opening by hand. Upon inspection, it appears the chain has much slack in it and isjumping teeth on the sprockets in the mechanism. Is there any adjustment thatwill take up the slack in the chain? If not, what is the repair for this issueif anyone can help. Thanks for any info.

Lou
StratLou,

If for example the chain has lost a bit of tension and is making a ratcheting type noise, it may need to be re-tensioned.

It is possible for you to do this yourself, however I'd recommend purchasing the appropriate service manual beforehand.

Otherwise, I recommend bringing your T&C to your local Chrysler dealer for repairs.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:07 PM

The entire motor mechanism needed replacement after all that (motor, gears, chain). A little pricey, but works fine now. Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:05 PM

The entire motor mechanism needed replacement after all that (motor, gears, chain). A little pricey, but works fine now. Thanks for the advice.
StratLou,

Anytime!
Thanks for the follow up, I'm glad you got to the bottom of things.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:29 AM

Interesting, The 2008 Has Motor gears and a chain?
I have a 2005 T&C Touring with Power Sliders and Power rear Lift and when it is cold outside my rear unit pops when it lifts (about 1/4" before it rotates at very top) and again when I go to lower it, It appears on mine that the lift is not wanting to go all the way up and binds the lifting mechanism, I also notice when it pops when attempting to lower it kicks the unit off and I have to push the button again to get it to lower, The funniest thing though is it only does that when cold outside never had an issue in the spring or summer.
But I found on mine I have a Motor, Set of gears and a lever but no chain.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:40 PM

Maybe your problem was similar to mine:

https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...repairs-22433/