Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Town and country Power steering locks and braking is extremely hard

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 06:55 AM

So as to avoid panic, the brakes do not fail when the engine shuts down.

What you experience is loss of power assist, not complete failure.

Yes, you'll have to press harder, but the brakes are still functioning.

Ditto the steering.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:15 AM

It looks like what we have here is a root cause -- engine shutting down causing power assist to stop for steering and brakes as Rcsnyder says.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but clear all the micros by doing the hard-reset disconnect of the -ve battery terminal for a few minutes. I advised this on here on another posting after the gent had replaced the battery. It worked and he was very pleased. It sounded just as ridiculous, but it's cost and time free, only takes minutes.
As I advised the gent mentioned, if it clears the fault, keep an eye on it over time. There may be hash/glitches on the +12volt line upsetting a micro.

Leedsman.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:40 AM

Let me toss out another idea, and, please please please, hear me out.

Recently, GM made news, supposedly for a faulty ignition switch. Bull. Nothing wrong with the switches. Just people - teenaged girls mostly - thinking the ignition was the right place to hang a 2-pound+ key and trinket collection.

That said, any time someone claims their vehicle mysteriously shut off, we might consider the presence of too many keys.

Bob
Liberty MO

Old 05-29-2014, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by ChryslerCACares
bikerbeng,

Thanks for the follow up.
It may be time to get it looked at by your dealer.
Any number of electrical components could be responsible for these symptoms.
The vehicle has been to the dealer twice with no problems found. Chrysler has been notified of the events with a case opened. Dealer cannot fix something that is not recording event codes, is what I have been told.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by RCSnyder
Let me toss out another idea, and, please please please, hear me out.

Recently, GM made news, supposedly for a faulty ignition switch. Bull. Nothing wrong with the switches. Just people - teenaged girls mostly - thinking the ignition was the right place to hang a 2-pound+ key and trinket collection.

That said, any time someone claims their vehicle mysteriously shut off, we might consider the presence of too many keys.

Bob
Liberty MO
The events have occurred with only the FOB in the ignition and no dangling keys.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:21 AM

Bikerbeng...have you discovered the cause yet? Or taken any additional actions?

Today, my wife's '09 did the same thing. This is the second episode, the first was about 4 months ago.

Andy

Old 07-16-2014, 01:33 PM

Long shot -- one of the engine sensors could be "on it's way", i.e cam sensor and flywheel sensor, (to be done together, if you change them). This could cause engine shut-down. I seem to remember someone on here had a fault with one of these which gave no error codes! These sensors are a known source of trouble.

Leedsman.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by apballard
Bikerbeng...have you discovered the cause yet? Or taken any additional actions?

Today, my wife's '09 did the same thing. This is the second episode, the first was about 4 months ago.

Andy
I don't want to jinx anything but the only thing that has been done since the vehicle was in the shop last was to disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes to reset any of the sensors based on a previous post. I am waiting to see if we are part of the ignition recall that was announced about a month ago for the 08-10 models.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:40 PM

Sensors do not normally "reset", unless they are active. They are usually entirely analog. The resetting is for the microprocessors various so they may re-initialize. Many go to a 'default' position after reset, e.g. before the autobox one picks up the driver's habits and learn his/her ways.
This prob. is proving a tough one for you.

Leedsman.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:29 PM

We received our ignition switch recall notice on Saturday (9/13/14). Card was mailed back today and now we wait for the parts to become available.

Quick Reply: 2009 Town and country Power steering locks and braking is extremely hard