Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2010 Chrysler Town and Country TIPM

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Rustydog
There are companys that rebuild automotive electronic modules, computers, ABS modules, dash modules ect. It might be worth while to check around.
Thanks for the tip, that might be worth checking into. I know a used TIPM won't work b/c the vin# from the original vehicle has been burned into it. They told me at the dealership that they couldn't reprogram it b/c it has shorted out and won't reprogram. I haven't thought about having it rebuilt. I'll have to try and find out if that's a possibility.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Default 2010 T&C Defective TIPM

I guess that 300 needs to be bumped up to 301 now. Mine was also found to be defective at end of March and they would not give me a date for availability. I did have to pay over $650 up front for them to order it. My head lights would not work at all after they checked the van.
I went to an auto parts store and bought 2 head light sockets, wire, toggle switch and a fuse holder and wired up the low beams so we could drive the van at night. All the parking and other lights work fine right now.
I did see on another site that the Goverment is looking into the long standing problem with T&C head light issues.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by charles43
I guess that 300 needs to be bumped up to 301 now. Mine was also found to be defective at end of March and they would not give me a date for availability. I did have to pay over $650 up front for them to order it. My head lights would not work at all after they checked the van.
I went to an auto parts store and bought 2 head light sockets, wire, toggle switch and a fuse holder and wired up the low beams so we could drive the van at night. All the parking and other lights work fine right now.
I did see on another site that the Goverment is looking into the long standing problem with T&C head light issues.
I feel your pain. It ended up costing me about $650it also. I sent an email to Chrysler customer service explaining the situation. I wanted to know if there was any plans for a recall since this is a serious safety hazard, and Chrysler can hardly say they aren't aware of it with such a back log for this same part. A customer service rep. called and spoke to me in person, which I appreciated. While she couldn't give me any info on a recall, she told me she would expedite my order, which effectively bumped me to the top of the list. Only took about a week and a half for me to get the part in and get it replaced. That's little consolation as the $650 still came out of my pocket. Atleast the van is safe to drive now.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:04 PM

Don't count on Chrysler LLC to issue a recall. File a complaint with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration. When they get a number of complaints on the same subject they investigate and determine if a recall is warranted. Your complaint will help that process along.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:19 AM
Thumbs down 300 nation wide back ordered

Originally Posted by TNtech
Not 11 in your TOWN, 11 in the ZONE. Our zone is all or part of 5 states. I would be willing to bet half of those other 10 are misdiagnosed. Backorder is the new economy my friend. I tried to order some shirts from a well known work clothing manufacturer last week. The color I wanted is on.....BACKORDER!!! lolz
I have a 2010 T&C with a defective TIPM. I was told over 300 are on back order nationwide. They can not give me a date when I can expect a replacement. My headlights do not not working at all through the TIPM. Since I am mechanically and electrically capable I have wired up my headlights to operate through a relay and fuse. The relay is activated when the parking lights are turned on. I only have low beam, however, this is more than the dealer offered to do. at least I can drive at night and in the rain.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:49 AM

The bypassing of the TIPM with a simple relay sounds like the the path to a more economic long term solution unless Chrysler will cover the part under a recall or warranty. Especially at $800 vs. about $10.

Engineers are pushed to come up with innovative solutions, not always simple and effective solutions. Unfortunately that's up to us many times, the people who actually use their products.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:20 PM

I have a 2010 T&C with a defective TIPM. I was told over 300 are on back order nationwide. They can not give me a date when I can expect a replacement. My headlights do not not working at all through the TIPM. Since I am mechanically and electrically capable I have wired up my headlights to operate through a relay and fuse. The relay is activated when the parking lights are turned on. I only have low beam, however, this is more than the dealer offered to do. at least I can drive at night and in the rain.
I wish I had the electrical know how to do what you did. It might have saved me close to $700. If you do want to get it fixed but don't want to wait indefinitely, call or email Chrysler customer service. Their contact info is on the website. I sent them an email and the lady I spoke to told me if I would get the dealer to go ahead and order the part, she would expedite my order. Only took about a week and a half for it to come in. I still had to pay for it though. They told me if a recall ever is issued, I would be reimbursed.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by davalt75
They told me if a recall ever is issued, I would be reimbursed.
Yes, keep your receipts and all. That same TIPM fits other models too (the base version before they're programmed with software), hence the backorder. Overall they've been reliable. It's not the big problem it seems from reading this thread. I hardly ever have to replace them on minivans. Jeep Wranglers are the ones I do the most. It IS a good idea to call Chrysler to try and get yours bumped up because a good chunk of the ones on order could be just rental cars waiting on them.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:10 PM
Default 2010 Town and Country TIPM issue

I have been waiting for a replacement TIPM since March 20th when I was told 300 were on back order nationwide. A week later the headlights went out and stayed out. I filed a report with NTSB about the safety hazard of loosing headlights while traveling 70 MPH on the interstate. After daily calls to Chrysler Customer Service and getting a case # assigned I was finally given a ship date of July 16th a couple weeks back. Yesterday, July 19th, I was given a second ship date of July 31st. I'm not holding my breath on that one either. The sad thing is I have a 1979 Harley motorcycle and they can provide any part for it with in one week. I was under the impression that auto manufactures were required by law to provide replacement part for a certain number of years. I guess Chrysler is exempt from any responsibility of supporting their customers except to manufacture and sell new cars, the heck with existing customers.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:01 AM

I have been waiting for a replacement TIPM since March 20th when I was told 300 were on back order nationwide. A week later the headlights went out and stayed out. I filed a report with NTSB about the safety hazard of loosing headlights while traveling 70 MPH on the interstate. After daily calls to Chrysler Customer Service and getting a case # assigned I was finally given a ship date of July 16th a couple weeks back. Yesterday, July 19th, I was given a second ship date of July 31st. I'm not holding my breath on that one either. The sad thing is I have a 1979 Harley motorcycle and they can provide any part for it with in one week. I was under the impression that auto manufactures were required by law to provide replacement part for a certain number of years. I guess Chrysler is exempt from any responsibility of supporting their customers except to manufacture and sell new cars, the heck with existing customers.
It is very frustrating. Have you asked customer service to expedite the order? That bumps you to the top of the list. Only took about a week and a half to get mine once it was expedited. I agree with you. Chrysler doesn't seem very willing to take responsibility for this. I guess they figure since no one has died yet, then it isn't really a problem.

Quick Reply: 2010 Chrysler Town and Country TIPM