Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 T&C: How to tell factory tow package from aftermarket hitch

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Default 2010 T&C: How to tell factory tow package from aftermarket hitch

Buying 2010 T&C I ordered Trailer Tow Group package which is supposed to include the following:
- Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
- Heavy Duty Radiator
- Heavy Duty Transmission Oil Cooler
- Load Leveling & Height Control
- Trailer Tow Wiring Harness

However, I have feelings that the dealer just installed an aftermarket hitch and a wiring harness and didn't bother to install heavy duty coolers and load leveling control. How can I tell what exactly I've got from the dealer? I can post some pictures of my hitch installation if it helps.

Thank you very much,

--Alexander

Old 09-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

a mopar hitch will have mopar on the hitch and mopar on the wire harness that I can see.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:39 PM

Below are the pictures of the hitch and wiring harness of my car:

This is the only name I found on the hitch's body

That is how the hitch looks

This is my wiring harness

Picture showing how the harness' wire is connected to the break pedal's wire of the car

Label on the hitch (part 1 of 2)

Label on the hitch (part 2 of2)

Bar code on a side of the hitch

I hope these pictures will help to tell whether it is a part of the manufacturer's trailer tow group package or some aftermarket installation. Also, I wonder whether anyone can tell how to tell regular from heavy duty coolers and radiators.

--Alexnder

Old 09-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

I had already told U what to look for I dont see what I had asked u to look for this is an aftermarket setup.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:32 AM

It's a good hitch but i'd have them complete the package if it was sold as a factory to equipped van.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:41 AM

Anyone can tell how to verify whether the car is equipped with heavy duty/additional radiators and coolers and load/level control?

Old 09-12-2010, 11:38 AM

I wouldn't be towing ANYTHING with a minivan. Heavy Duty towing on a minivan is a myth at best. It doesn't exist. If you're pulling anything more than a pair of jet skis then IMO you're buying the wrong vehicle to do that with. I advise you to AXE this deal and step up and get yourself a quad cab Ram.

BTW, those aftermarket load specs stamped on the tow bar...they are for the tow bar NOT the Minivan.

Last edited by TNtech; 09-12-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by TNtech
I wouldn't be towing ANYTHING with a minivan. Heavy Duty towing on a minivan is a myth at best. It doesn't exist. If you're pulling anything more than a pair of jet skis then IMO you're buying the wrong vehicle to do that with. I advise you to AXE this deal and step up and get yourself a quad cab Ram.

BTW, those aftermarket load specs stamped on the tow bar...they are for the tow bar NOT the Minivan.
TNtech, I don't worry too much about my car's towing performance. I am going to tow a light inflatable boat which I can easily pull with my hands. My only concern is just to get everything that I payed for.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by windjunkie
TNtech, I don't worry too much about my car's towing performance. I am going to tow a light inflatable boat which I can easily pull with my hands. My only concern is just to get everything that I payed for.
Understood