Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2010 T&C liftgate chain repairs

Old 02-01-2015, 02:28 PM
Smile Saved me some big $$$

My lift gate would not open. Did some on line research and bought a service manual. Found the chain had broken. Prescribed repair was to replace the motor assembly. Cheapest I found on line was on E-bay at nearly $200 for the part. Found this recommended repair and for less than $10.00 parts plus shipping, I was able to make the repair and everything works fine. Thanks for the recommendations.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:16 AM

Glad it worked out for you.
These online forums are great to help you learn about your vehicles from others who shared their stories. Also nice to save some money when you can do repairs yourself.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:24 PM

Thank you for posting this.
I see that they list a standard chain and a heavy duty chain. Which one did you use?
Thx
Phil
Originally Posted by Beau-Kat
Don't know if this has been discussed on here before so I thought I'd offer some advice that might save someone a few hundred bucks repairing their liftgate mechanism.

Our liftgate chain broke. Upon inspection there were several cracked links along with the broken one. Could only find on the internet that the complete liftgate power mechanism had to be replaced. The chain itself wasn't available for purchase. I found the new mechanisms costing anywhere from $200-450.

Well, I saw a number on the chain, #25. Goggled "chain #25" and discovered electric scooters used that chain. Ordered one foot of chain and a couple of master links (and 1/2 and 1 1/2 links as a just in case). I ordered them from ElectricSccoterParts.com or something close to that.

Rotated the cam tension adjuster at the top of the mechanism to get some slack. Used my dremel to cut the pins off the bad section of links, removed them, and installed the new chain section. Rotated the cam adjuster again to tighten up the new chain. The new chain was much more heavy duty than the original chain, but fit in perfectly with the original chain.

All said and done, I spent only $18 and about two hours of my own labor for this repair. Liftgate works 100% now!

Old 03-11-2015, 12:51 PM

Should be the heavy duty one.
The number on the bag the chain came in is CHN-HD2548.
The master kink is CHN-HD25ML.
The half link is CHN-25HL.
The link and a half is CHN-25LHL.

Here is their phone #:
ElectricScooterParts.com
1-800-908-8082

Last edited by Beau-Kat; 03-12-2015 at 04:43 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:34 PM
Default Liftgate chain

I used the heavy duty chain parts. They worked just fine.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:27 PM
Question

So this problem has come up in my Dodge and I am right now waiting for the replacement chains.
So I have a question. When you thought of replacing the entire thing did you look at how the chain connected to where the push rod goes?
It seams that there are rivets holding plates together that smash it in place.
As I see it I will just have to replace everything ells right after this but what I am getting at is I will still be using the old chain as the anchor.
Thoughts?
I mean replacing the entire thing is kinda pointless if you are forced to still use the existing chain.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by neonphase
So this problem has come up in my Dodge and I am right now waiting for the replacement chains.
So I have a question. When you thought of replacing the entire thing did you look at how the chain connected to where the push rod goes?
It seams that there are rivets holding plates together that smash it in place.
As I see it I will just have to replace everything ells right after this but what I am getting at is I will still be using the old chain as the anchor.
Thoughts?
I mean replacing the entire thing is kinda pointless if you are forced to still use the existing chain.

I know what you're talking about, but it's been awhile since I repaired mine and I can't remember exactly how the chain attached at that point.
If you figure something out, please post it for the rest of us.
Like I said before, I don't know how long my fix will last, but it's been quite awhile so far with zero problems.
Good luck.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:49 AM
Default Master link

Hello

I just replaced the links that were compromised. I ordered 4 master links thinking that I would have spairs. As it turned out on closer inspection I needed to replace 4 links. I replaced mine 10 weeks ago. No problems yet.. Knock wood!

Old 06-09-2015, 08:59 AM

Ditto for me - I just replaced several the links that were broken. It has been quite a while since the repair (Nov-2014). Fingers crossed. :-)

Old 07-23-2015, 08:55 PM
Default Thank You!

I am so glad I read this forum! After my kids had been playing with the doors and buttons, my lift gate would no longer work. As so many mentioned, I did research on parts and even called the dealership that wanted $100 just to look at my car. Once I discovered that the chain broke, I order a master link for .44 cents. Within two days the link arrived and my dad helped men's the break. My gate works like new!!! Amazing- a little time and some pocket change fixed a potentially $300 bill at the dealership! Thanks again for the suggestions and help!
Originally Posted by Beau-Kat
Don't know if this has been discussed on here before so I thought I'd offer some advice that might save someone a few hundred bucks repairing their liftgate mechanism.

Our liftgate chain broke. Upon inspection there were several cracked links along with the broken one. Could only find on the internet that the complete liftgate power mechanism had to be replaced. The chain itself wasn't available for purchase. I found the new mechanisms costing anywhere from $200-450.

Well, I saw a number on the chain, #25. Googled "chain #25" and discovered electric scooters used that chain. Ordered one foot of the heavy duty chain and a couple of master links (and 1/2 and 1 1/2 links as a just in case).

The number on the bag the chain came in is CHN-HD2548.
The master kink is CHN-HD25ML.
The half link is CHN-HL.
The link and a half is CHN-25LHL.

I ordered them from ElectricSccoterParts.com 1-800-908-8082.

Rotated the cam tension adjuster at the top of the mechanism to get some slack. Used my dremel to cut the pins off the bad section of links, removed them, and installed the new chain section. Rotated the cam adjuster again to tighten up the new chain. The new chain was much more heavy duty than the original chain, but fit in perfectly with the original chain.

All said and done, I spent only $18 and about two hours of my own labor for this repair. Liftgate works 100% now!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 T&C liftgate chain repairs