Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2011 Town and Country Fobik

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Default 2011 Town and Country Fobik

I have a 2011 T&C, and when calling the dealer and inquiring about replacing a lost key, they told me that I would need part # 56046704AE. I have been looking on eBay and other various sites for cheap replacements, and I can only find 56046704AA and 56046704AD. I read a previous post that said that the AA and AD are just different revisions and should be able to work with the vehicle.

The question that I have is if I buy a used AA or AD revision, that has been previously programmed to another vehicle, the dealership should be able to reprogram it to my vehicle to work, correct?? I want to make sure these are not tied to the vehicle for life once they are programmed. Also, if the emergency key has been cut to another vehicle, I should just be able to buy a replacement key and have that cut as well, correct??

I also have to wonder what the difference is between the AA, AD, and AE models of these remotes....Would I lack any functionality if I were to buy a model other than the AE??

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:18 PM

When looking this item up online, I found this 56046704AD which shows an alternate stock code of 56046704AB. Would that mean that I can purchase the second one for $51, pay my dealership to program it, and have a fully functioning key fob again??

Thanks in advance once again....

Old 03-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Default ?

Wallace, Did you ever get answer to this or how did you make out? I am in the same boat. Thanks

Old 03-13-2013, 10:37 AM

I didn't manage to find out if the part numbers were interchangeable, but I did manage to find a Fobik on eBay, used, for $14...I then found a guy on eBay that would wipe the Fobik for $27, then reprogrammed at the dealership for $40... Not cheap, but much better than the price tag I got from the dealership....

Old 03-15-2013, 08:22 AM

Thanks Joe, I just purchased a 2012 T&C and the dealer refused to give me a 2nd key after selling us the van, pretty sneaky, but they did offer me a $400 key replacement Insurance plan LOL what a nother scam. So instead they offered to sell me one programed for their cost at $150. I figured a used one could be reprogrammed to the van and like you purchased a used key fob from ebay. Well I took it to the dealer to be programed and 20min later told me that because the fob was already programed to another car it can never be used for another vehicle, I was pissed I asked how the hell is that possible your a Chrysler Dealer your computers and reconfigure anything on a Chrysler product and the Service Adviser replies Sorry that's not the case will the key fobs you will have to pay the $$$150.00 if you want a second key.. I think that is crazy BS. I see that there are new aftermarket Fobik key fobs sold online for $50 I think my next step is to try one of those before shelling crazy money for a "new chrysler fob". And Dealerships wonder why no one trusts them.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:22 AM

steelfire455, I just sent you an email....

Be careful with the after market ones and the ones that claim you can program them yourself. My understanding is that in order to program the Fob yourself, you have to have 2 WORKING key fobs in order to program a third, and even then there are reports that the ability to program the third fob has been removed from 2012 and newer vehicles due to security reasons...Something about valets being able to duplicate ignition keys....

The used fob that I bought and had wiped works perfectly. I was very leery about the "unlock service" that I purchased to make the fob programable again, but with the full guarantee, I gave it a shot....Couldn't be happier....

Old 03-16-2013, 07:23 AM

Joe thanks for the link to the company. For the money I will definitely get the used fob wiped and try the dealership again. Thanks for all the info, Eric