Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2013 T & C Transmission Clunk Moving Lever into Drive

Old 06-23-2016, 02:15 PM
Default 2013 T & C Transmission Clunk Moving Lever into Drive

2013 T & C with 10,000 miles and still under warranty. Intermittent issue that Dealer says they are unable to duplicate. After warmed up and driving a short distance, the van is parked, ignition off and left for 10 or so minutes. After backing out of the parking space and when shift lever is put into D, there is a noticeable and very audible "Clunk". Does not always occur but it is occurring more frequently now. Soon after it was new, Dealer said is was a quart low on tranny fluid and added a quart. Shifts OK while driving.

Any ideas?

Thanks, in advance.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by SoCADesertRat
2013 T & C with 10,000 miles and still under warranty. Intermittent issue that Dealer says they are unable to duplicate. After warmed up and driving a short distance, the van is parked, ignition off and left for 10 or so minutes. After backing out of the parking space and when shift lever is put into D, there is a noticeable and very audible "Clunk". Does not always occur but it is occurring more frequently now. Soon after it was new, Dealer said is was a quart low on tranny fluid and added a quart. Shifts OK while driving.

Any ideas?

Thanks, in advance.
With the noise being intermittent, it’s hard for the dealership to diagnose. How consistent has the noise become? Does it happen shifting back into park? – Kevin T, Social Connect Team

Old 06-23-2016, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by ChryslerCares
With the noise being intermittent, it’s hard for the dealership to diagnose. How consistent has the noise become? Does it happen shifting back into park? – Kevin T, Social Connect Team
Kevin, in all fairness I have not been back to the Dealer of late. it is now happening more than 75% of the time. I really need to take the Dealer Tech on a short ride with me.
It only occurs when shifting into D and usually only after backing up a short distance. No other shifts are a problem. When it is parked in the garage and I start it up, shifting into R is no problem and when I get to the street shifting into D, only on very limited occasions will it clunk. Most of the time, it needs to be warmed up to get the clunk when going into D.

Thanks for your interest. I am taking it to a trusted shop nearby in the AM to have them check the tranny fluid level. What a pain to not be able to use a tranny dipstick like I can on my RAM.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:20 PM

Kevin, in all fairness I have not been back to the Dealer of late. it is now happening more than 75% of the time. I really need to take the Dealer Tech on a short ride with me.
It only occurs when shifting into D and usually only after backing up a short distance. No other shifts are a problem. When it is parked in the garage and I start it up, shifting into R is no problem and when I get to the street shifting into D, only on very limited occasions will it clunk. Most of the time, it needs to be warmed up to get the clunk when going into D.

Thanks for your interest. I am taking it to a trusted shop nearby in the AM to have them check the tranny fluid level. What a pain to not be able to use a tranny dipstick like I can on my RAM.
Thanks for the follow-up. A ride along is a great idea and would also be my recommendation with this concern. If I can be of any assistance, don't hesistate to reach out. Thanks - Kevin T, Social Connect Team

Old 07-07-2016, 12:34 AM
Default Tranny Clunk Cured!!

Originally Posted by ChryslerCares
Thanks for the follow-up. A ride along is a great idea and would also be my recommendation with this concern. If I can be of any assistance, don't hesistate to reach out. Thanks - Kevin T, Social Connect Team
I went to my independent garage, the tech checked the fluid level -- all OK and then he reset the computer controlled tranny --- not only is the clunk gone but the shifting has relearned and it is shifts very smoothly through all the gears -- and feels like it has more power.

Don't know why the tech at the dealer did not try the same reset.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:16 AM

I went to my independent garage, the tech checked the fluid level -- all OK and then he reset the computer controlled tranny --- not only is the clunk gone but the shifting has relearned and it is shifts very smoothly through all the gears -- and feels like it has more power.

Don't know why the tech at the dealer did not try the same reset.
Thanks for the follow-up. Unfortunately, I am not able to speak on behalf o the technician, but happy to hear your problems have been resolved. If you need any further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out. Thanks - Kevin T, Social Connect Team