Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

3rd gen turbo diesel trans oil type 5sp manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 04:21 PM
Default 3rd gen turbo diesel trans oil type 5sp manual

hi i have 1998 3rd gen voyager euro spec .with a 5 speed manual g/box .i have a pronblem with stiff change going down to 2nd & impossible into 1st until i stop.
i thought maybe clutch but i have actually switched engine off & coasted still no go when trying to get 1st ,until i stop !
stopping engine would seem to discount clutch drag ,as the input shaft is obviously stationary when engine is stopped.
My last hope before ripping the transmission apart is bad oil .
I cant seem to find correct oil grade fror this application .
any help on this and any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated . maybe an additive ?
thanks for looking

Old 06-17-2006, 09:00 PM
Default RE: 3rd gen turbo diesel trans oil type 5sp manual

Ok I've just checked the owners handbook (page 126 in the UK version if you have one) for my '98 and it says the correct oil for your transmission is an SAE 10W40 engine oil. The Chrysler part number is 4343658 if you're feeling rich.
Actually, I'd check with them anyway, you MIGHT get a pleasant surprise, otherwise I know that Vauxhall sell General Motors 10W40 semi syn motor oil at a superb price, even better if you can persuade them that you're "trade", when it drops to around GB£1 per litre bought as 4x5l cans. The car we just traded for our Voyager did 120,000 flawless miles on this oil and had no measurable engine wear or oil consumption at trade-in. It really is excellent stuff and I'm going to continue using it in the Voyager.

Back to your problem: I'd replace the oil anyway because the wrong oil COULD (disclaimer: I'm no expert on Mopar transaxles, in fact not on Mopar anything just now so if you think what I say is trash it might be. Go on your own instincts) conceoivably cause heavy upshifts and stiff downshifts.

Otherwise the only car I ever had that exhibited your symptoms (and then only on 1 gear) was a Saab that wouldn't downshift into 3rd. The bad news is that turned out to be a synchroniser which was cheap enough but an absolute ***** to fit. If you can double-clutch or float-shift (clutchless) I'd try that. Not only will it make your driving easier, it'll make the repair job less urgent if it works for you, however it'll also point to a synchroniser problem.

Everybody has an opinion on additives: I'm a firm believer in them TO AN EXTENT. They're great as long as you remember that they're only additives and can't repair or replace plain mechanical wear or damage. That said, I use SOME Lucas additives regularly and I drive/own a range of machines from motorbikes & cars through an old Ford 5000 tractor with hydraulics right up to a Volvo artic (semi) truck. I find that their products work exactly as described and are reasonably priced. In fact their Upper Cylinder Lube actually PAYS FOR ITSELF in fuel savings!
They have an additive that sems to be tailor made for your problem. Heavy Duty Oil Stabiliser seems to fit your bill nicely but if you're going to go the route of semi- or full synthetic oil in your trans you might want to consider their synthetic version, Synthetic Oil Stabiliser.

Why not call them and ask? I've had nothing but helpful advice from them on the phone, and I'll be ordering again Monday for myself as I'm running short on UCL and want some "Transmission Fix" for the Voyager (no, the auto doesn't need fixing but this stuff is also excellent preventative maintenance).
http://www.lucasoils.co.uk
I hope this helps, as always those are my opinions. Your mileage may vary.
Good luck.
Allan

Old 06-18-2006, 06:51 AM

Hi Alan .
thanks for the great info. I have tried alsorts of double de clutching clutchless etc etc ,no way she wil go in 1st while moving even slightest bit forwards .
funnily ewnough it will go into 1st with ease while in reverse, figure that one out ! Obviously i dont lift the clutch at this point
I'm going to contact the oil company you mention on monday .I will go get some synthetic oil 1st then if this does'nt do it i'll shove some additive in .
the box is silent & all synchros work as they should ,its really doing my head in .thanks again for the info .i will keep you posted on develepoments.
wbr Steve

Old 06-23-2006, 10:15 AM

So, what happened?
I'm curious.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:03 AM

Hi still have'nt got the addtive from lucas oils my wife is going back to uk next week she is bringing it back to spain for me .i will refill with new 10 40 synthetic & put additive in & let you know what happens . i have a horrible feeling its something serious though .
it is a problem between the output from the gbox & 1st & 2nd gear . maybe a bearing which is causing a clearance problem when vehicle is moving forward .as i said gears move fine when vehicle is coasting backwards ,but not forwards even with engine stopped (no clutch drag ) .
Steve

Old 06-23-2006, 07:58 PM

KK, good luck.