Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

'97 T&C... Horn & Cruse Control Dosen't Work

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 11:31 PM
Default '97 T&C... Horn & Cruse Control Dosen't Work

My wife and I bought this '97 Town & Country recently w/ 141,000. The only reall issue that I am having with it is that the cruise control will not turn on and the horn will not sound. Although, when you lock the van and open the door with the alarm activated the horn sounds. I looked for a fuse for the cruise and the horn and only found a 20a fuse for the horn under the hood, and it was good. Any other fuses that I missed or maybe a relay? If there is a relay, how do I test it? Any help guys.... would be appreciated.

Justin Thomas

Old 09-24-2005, 12:29 AM
Default RE: '97 T&C... Horn & Cruse Control Dosen't Work

Sounds like the clockspring when bad. These vans have alot of problems with this issue and chrysler has recalled this part and put a lifetime warranty on it. You can take it to your local dealer and have the recall done for free.

Old 09-24-2005, 01:22 AM

I searched for this recall online and found it.

NHTSA Recall Campaign Number: 02V293000

Component: AIR BAGS:FRONTAL

Details: ON CERTAIN MINI VANS, THE CLOCKSPRING ASSEMBLY MAY HAVE BEEN WOUND INCORRECTLY DURING THE VEHICLE ASSEMBLY PROCESS.

Consequence: THIS CONDITION WILL MANIFEST ITSELF THROUGH ILLUMINATION OF THE AIR BAG WARNING LAMP, AND COULD EVENTUALLY RESULT IN A DRIVER'S AIR BAG OPEN CIRCUIT, IF THE PART IS NOT REPLACED IN A REASONABLE AMOUNT OF TIME.

Corrective Action: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE CLOCKSPRING ASSEMBLY ON ALL VEHICLES WITH 70,000 MILES OR LESS. AN EXTENDED LIFETIME WARRANTY WILL ALSO BE PLACED ON THIS COMPONENT FOR ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES, REGARDLESS OF MILEAGE. DAIMLERCHRYSLER WILL ALSO REIMBURSE OWNERS WHO HAVE PAID TO HAVE THE CLOCKSPRING REPLACED ON THEIR VEHICLES. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN NOVEMBER 18, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Units Potentially Affected: 1500521

It states that if this is the problem, though, that the air bag light will remain illuminated or operate improperly. Mine illuminates for a few seconds and then turns off. I'm still going to call the dealer on Monday and get this checked out.

Thank You Very Much!!!

Justin Thomas

Old 09-26-2005, 11:19 PM

Called the dealership today and told them about the Horn and Cruise not working. They said that the problem is most likely the clockspring, but it is only covered by the recall if the Air Bag light comes on and stays illuminated after you start the vehicle.[:@]However, the part is covered under the warranty.... but the labor to diagnose that it is the clockspring will cost me. They said about $65-$75. I'm thinking about calling DAIMLER CHRYSLER at the number they provided in the recall, 1-800-853-1403. What do you guys think I should do?!?

Old 09-27-2005, 10:58 PM

With our 1996 Voyageur, we had the same problem. Horn and cruise didn't work.
I got help from this forum (I think), and a guy told me it was the clock spring, so I took a chance and replaced it myself (i.e. I did the labor). The part cost $140 (Canadian). No diagnostics...and it worked for several more years. PS: I just missed the recall mileage too.

Old 09-28-2005, 09:16 PM

ORIGINAL: klausmann

With our 1996 Voyageur, we had the same problem. Horn and cruise didn't work.
I got help from this forum (I think), and a guy told me it was the clock spring, so I took a chance and replaced it myself (i.e. I did the labor). The part cost $140 (Canadian). No diagnostics...and it worked for several more years. PS: I just missed the recall mileage too.
How involved is the replacement? I'm sure that you have to remove the airbag and steering wheel. Is there somewhere I can go that will give me a tutorial on how to do the job?!?

Old 09-29-2005, 07:28 PM

I used the Haynes, believe it or not. Do you have the Haynes manual?

You have to remove the airbag module (first disconnect the battery), and you'll see the clockspring underneath.

Anyway, lemme know if you have the manual first...

km

Old 09-30-2005, 11:06 AM

Sure don't, I talked to the wife about it.... and she REALLY dosen't want me to do the switch. We're prolly gonna have the dealer do it.

Old 10-03-2005, 12:32 AM

Cool. I just didn't have the bucks to do it at the time, and frankly, if my wife knew what was involved (I didn't tell her), I'd have had the dealers do it.

Have you had your fuel pump replaced yet?

Old 10-03-2005, 04:24 PM

ORIGINAL: klausmann

Have you had your fuel pump replaced yet?
Nope.... should I get that checked out too?!? Do you have to drop the tank for it?