Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AA or RAC Vehicle Inspection...? HELP...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 08:44 AM
Default AA or RAC Vehicle Inspection...? HELP...

Hi,

Ok, I've agreed everything with the dealer but have decided (as I can't get to view the car) to book an independent inspection.

Has anyone had any experience with such inspections and if so which company would you say offers the best service?

Old 01-30-2014, 09:49 AM

I once asked my tame mechanic if HE would buy a car he'd not driven himself. I got that withering look of pity from him that only scotsmen seem to be able to do. The dealer selling it wouldn't let me drive it. I thought to myself "this guy just has to be some sort of masochist". This dealer was on the old Halifax road out of Leeds.
I didn't buy the car.
Part two:Much more recent. My daughter and I were out looking for a nice automatic for her as her current Fiat Punto was on its last legs (as if it ever had any legs in the first place). We looked at one used Vauxhall Vectramatic at a dealer up the Armley Rd. in Leeds. Before he would allow a test drive he wanted a non-refundable deposit (I'm not joking here).
We didn't buy the car.
The same afternoon in Morley nr. Leeds, we bough a lovely Vauxhall for near five grand -- cash. It's been working over a year now, no bother at all. He's right next to the main post office, and he's efficient with a capital "E". Even gives free 7 days insurance to allow you to drive the car away after you've road-taxed it next door.

Leedsman.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:17 AM

I like those dealers who just hand you the keys, no questions asked, and say "take it for a run"

I bought new Toyota for my wife a few years ago and the dealer gave us the keys for their demo model and said take it for a good drive and bring it back when you've decided if you like it or not.

Good dealers are great, their confidence is inspiring.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:25 AM

Ok, I've agreed everything with the dealer but have decided (as I can't get to view the car) to book an independent inspection.
Did you resolve the issue with the SatNav disc(s)

Old 01-30-2014, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by AlanC
Did you resolve the issue with the SatNav disc(s)
Not yet Alan, I've got an AA inspection booked for Tuesday next week and if all goes according to plan, I'll order a new disc the next day and get it sent straight to the dealer to make sure the SatNav works before I get there on the 13th...

Old 01-30-2014, 06:20 PM

Ah the MOT inspection. Remember sweating a few of those many moons ago. Stickers still round and purple? I was in the USAF stationed at RAF Lakenheath 87-92. It was always a squeaker getting a US spec LH drive car with US spec headlights to pass. Even more fun trying to pass those carrot or sugar beat tractors in that car on those narrow roads. Great memories.

Last edited by Raptor 07; 01-30-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:16 AM

Raptor 07, I think you may be getting confused. The AA inspection (or RAC inspection) is a service provided by the Automobile Association or the Royal Automobile Club whereby they will carry out an independant inspection of a used vehicle before you buy it so that you may be aware of any possible faults. Those associations, and others, provide a national breakdown/recovery service for an annual fee.

The round stickers you mentioned were probably road fund licence or tax discs that we in the UK have to buy and renew every 6 or 12 months before we can use a vehicle on the road. Before you can get a tax disc you need to have a current MOT certificate (Ministry Of Transport) and insurance for the vehicle.

The MOT test is an annual test which is carried out by authorised garages to all vehicles, 3 years and older, to prove the road worthiness of the vehicle.

Last edited by AlanC; 01-31-2014 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Changed Royal Automobile Association to Royal Automobile Club
Old 01-31-2014, 06:29 AM

The UK tax disk introduced in 1920 disappears in Oct next year .. .. the £7 million saved in administration costs will be used to improve Conservative MP's Viggers style duck-houses.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:53 AM

I'm going to throw a party if you weren't joking about that disappearing road-tax disc Quinteq.
Or were you joking?

Leedsman.
p.s. How much are duckhouses these days anyhow?

Old 01-31-2014, 12:14 PM

No you still pay .. .. you just don't get .. .. or have to display a disk. That's where they get the mi££ions for their duck-house refurbishment money.

Quick Reply: AA or RAC Vehicle Inspection...? HELP...