Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Abs code 13 01 town and country

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 09:10 PM
Default Abs code 13 01 town and country

2001 Chrysler Town and country 3.8. So I have had local parts store run a scan for check engine light and they pulled abs code 13 which they tell me is wheel speed sensor upon further searching I've found one place that lead me to right rear speed sensor but I'm not sure after driving for a extensive period of time it likes to not shift properly and transmission shutters while stopped and sometimes on take off. Speedometer bounces when in drive while stopped sometimes. Key off engine off restart seems to fix the problem temporarily. Any further diagnostic help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Ron

Old 02-26-2017, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

the check engine light and the abs codes are not the same there cheap little scanners will only access check engine light codes not ABS>

Old 02-26-2017, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
the check engine light and the abs codes are not the same there cheap little scanners will only access check engine light codes not ABS>
Went back to Auto zone today they actually do have a scan tool that reads ABS codes came up PO720 WHEEL SPEED SENSOR FAULT.
However, not sure how to determine whether it's wheel speed sensor or output sensor. Odometer fluctuates when stopped in drive. Engine restart seems to fix problem temporarily. But I can't afford to play trial and error with it some people has told me oh boy sounds like a junk transmission bit I believe otherwise that it's electrical issue. Thanks

Old 02-27-2017, 04:51 PM

Sounds like you are getting your "sensors" mixed up. the P0720 code is an output speed sensor circuit fault. Has absolutely nothing to do with the ABS system and it's wheel speed sensors. https://www.obd-codes.com/p0720

You have two distinctly separate and unrelated problems. (1) Your transmission shifting/shuddering problem coupled with the speedo jump. (2) Your ABS code. Neither are related to each other.

Transmission shift/shudder and speedo bounce - those are the classic symptoms of a failure in the output speed sensor circuit. If you go by the odds alone the output speed sensor ($15) is the culprit. That said it could also be wiring, poor connection or the TCM ($200). http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/tr...5_232755_1.gif

ABS light - a code told you the right rear WHEEL speed sensor circuit was at fault. Going with odds again, the sensor ($25) is bad. Could be the tone wheel is caked with mud, there's a poor connection, broken wire or the controller is bad. Ill assume you have the older drum brakes on the rear. This depicts the sensor and tone wheel: https://w05.dealerconnect.chrysler.c...S/80003a3b.gif

Were you seeing an ABS fault light on the dash? If not this could be just a false detection by the scanner.

Last edited by Raptor 07; 02-27-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:10 PM

So I took it to a more qualified garage today and got a little more answer like your saying but also saying improper gear ratio so he said he thought may be related to an internal issue but wouldn't a sensor that's calculating speed from the transaxle cause a improper gear ratio? Regardless output sensor is 6.99 from AutoZone I'm Gona try that route and see what goes on I hope it isn't internal issue but worst case scenario salvage yard has one for $350. Just kinda weird that if it was internal when I turn it off and right back on it fixes the issue temporarily.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:12 PM

Btw the abs is not even related autozone tried to be more knowledgeable then their scan tool. Lol

Old 03-02-2017, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

rule of thumb parts store sells parts they 9 times out of 10 don't know how a car works