Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 01:34 PM
Default ABS Issue

Hi There Guys

In the last few days the abs light has started to go on and off on my 2003 2.5 CRD Grand Voyager it started as an intermittent problem but now it seems from today its permanent the light is staying on all the time i haven't had it scanned as yet but i think somehow its one of the front wheels yesterday i went over a speed bump with the on the n/s front wheel and the light went out then it came back on a bit later

Now from today its on all the time ive had someone have a look today and he suggested i get it plugged in but not found anyone as yet to do it i took it down the motorway today and tried the cruise control and that's working fine.. do the ABS sensors operate the C/C as well or is that a different system i was thinking as its the weekend to try and remove the abs sensors and give them a clean along with the rings and try it

As i said all was working fine then this problem started showing up from as Monday gone and i haven't touched the brakes at all as yet can these sensors just go down like that or could there be a chance one is shorting out somewhere

any advice would be great

Pete

Old 03-08-2014, 02:09 PM
Unhappy

When the ABS/Traction Control light came on on the 2004 2.5 CRD that I had, I cleaned the sensors and the rings to no avail. I had it scanned by an auto electrician who said they could only confirm it was one of the FRONT sensors but they couldn't say which one. So I bought one for the offside, had it fitted and re-scanned but the warning light was still and the auto electrician couldn't clear the error so I bought a sensor for the nearside, had it fitted and they were able to re-set straight away.

In March 2011 I paid the Chrysler dealership £72.13 plus vat for each front ABS sensor.

In case you're not aware, the abs warning light is an MOT failure.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:10 PM

Hi Alan

Thank you for getting back so quick.. Yes i did know the light is an mot failure the mot is not due till October, all the same i need to get it sorted ill do what i said though and try and clean the sensors tomorrow but i do know how easy it is to break them so ill have to be carefull,...l one thing though did the cruise still work on yours when the sensors went down or is that on a totally different system

Pete..........

Old 03-08-2014, 03:19 PM
tfb

£30-40 would be a reasonable non dealer price, last one I bought from rockauto.com, was about £30 including shipping from the US and came 2 days after placing the order.

Given that the fault was coming and going you may be able to resolve it by cleaning the rings, sensor faces and checking the electrical connection at the end of the flylead.

Regards
Richard

Old 03-08-2014, 04:54 PM

Thank you TFB

Ill have a go at cleaning them tomorrow ill let you all know how i get on you never know it just might work

Pete..

Old 03-09-2014, 05:39 AM

did the cruise still work on yours when the sensors went down
Yes mine did.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:11 AM

Quinteq I remember has posted an interesting document re. ABS sensors, it's worth finding and reading. I think it was about cleaning out muck from a place you'd never think of.

Leedsman.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:42 PM

Thanks for that Leedsman

Yes i found it, its referring to the abs rings on the driveshafts that go rusty im going to try and clean those too hav,nt had the wheels off yet to have a look if after ive done it and the problem is still there ill have to have it scanned.. BTW i went out tonight in the car and the light went out again as i pulled away drove for about 3 miles and the light stayed off then when i got back in the light went off as normal the flashed on and off then when i pulled away it came back on so i might be lucky it might just be rust on the sensors

Pete

Old 03-10-2014, 05:58 AM

I was looking at E-bay the other day and they sell right and left ABS sensors cheap (I seem to remember £13). Could be worth a look....

Leedsman.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:34 AM

£85 quid I paid for the proper RG Mopar Part from my local main stealer

Quick Reply: ABS Issue