Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

absolutely crazy

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 10:30 PM
Default absolutely crazy

well. Following on from my mates GV with the engine cut on hard acceleration. it was really annoying me so I took her out the other day and absolutely nailed it down a long stretch.... practically to the red line on the revs counter and held it there for a good mile or so. she didn't cut out. she just sailed along. so I thought you bitch lol. so I poked her again and proper thrashed it up a hill and proper gave the engine a stretch.... well blow me... its perfect now. no cutting out... starts first turn of key even on freezing mornings... you can put your foot down and she just pulls like a goodn.. 3000 plus revs.. no cutting out. tick over smooth as a nut. what the hell did I do just by braying it for a couple of miles. .. I am thinking there was a fuel blockage or mucky filter and blasting it has cleared it although he is gonna go get the fuel filter changed. I thought it was the filter housing jobbie but obv not. any ideas anyone????

Nick

Old 01-25-2015, 03:30 AM

Sounds like the "Italian tune up" method
Italian tuneup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-25-2015, 06:26 AM

You have probably simply burnt off hard carbon deposits from injectors*. This is the only way of doing it short of removing the injectors and having them cleaned ultrasonically. There is no known substance that can dissolve carbon, so it's just a waste of time and money expecting some "magic fluid" in the fuel to do the job. Hence the italian tune-up can work.

Leedsman.
* Current diesel injectors have complicated spray patterns and many holes, six for instance is quite common. They are backed by an injection pressure of something in the order of 25,000lb/sq". Anything distorting the spray pattern, such as a chunk of hard carbon will have a major effect on performance.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:33 AM

could the carbon deposits cause the engine cut on hard acceleration and surely this cant cause the low fuel rail pressure code I had. the low fuel rail pressure is why I was thinking fuel blockage somewhere or plugged up filter hence the italian tune up has shifted what ever was blocking it

Old 01-25-2015, 03:24 PM

Likely air in system but you cleared it. However you may have it coming back after leaving car standing for a while..

Old 01-25-2015, 10:53 PM

hey goggs. car has been running beautiful for nearly 5 days now. was stood for 2 days/nights and still perfect. In fact my mate says its like a new car. I drove it again today after 2 days stood and its perfect. I just cant believe a good thrashing has cleared it like it has. when you start it the starter motor barely spins twice and shes purring like a kitten. I hope others who may suffer similar can read this and try it them selves. all I can put this down to is an air lock in the fuel system somewhere that has been blown out. he usually drives like theres a bomb under the accelerator because he thought keeping the revs down would be good for the engine. he has changed his mind and is going to give her a blast once or twice a month. ... still gobsmacked that a simple thrashing has cured this three year long problem. marvelous I say

Old 01-26-2015, 06:46 AM

In all fault location, it's what works that matters.
"The proof of the pudding is in the eating".
Let's hope the engine is still running the same six months hence.

Leedsman.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:21 PM

Mines getting treated too nicely, prob should be kicking its ar*e as well. But its going fine, well except for little things, but great mover.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:25 PM

My GV was running fine when I got it (like 40K km ago) but the engine was slightly rough when running idle.
I performed more or less the Italian tune up together with some injector cleaner and the idling was fine after that.
Since then I use my GV 50/50 for small towntrips and long highway trips.
In town I surely have a "sporty" driving style and on the highway I ride ~130km/h on average (where possible).
I can state with quite some certainty that the engine runs better, smoother and more powerful compared to when I just got the GV.

That does "proof" my theory: "never buy a car from old ladies"

Old 01-26-2015, 04:34 PM

most of my driving is at 50mph (80kph) due to speed cameras all over our local main roads, but it is a speed that is neither a 4th gear or a 5th gear speed. if doing bang on the speed limit the car is ok but any slower by even 3mph I have to change down and sit at around 1900rpms, it's a good 8 mile stretch so really wish it was back up to a 60mph limit really lol

Quick Reply: absolutely crazy