Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Advice on a Voyager

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 10:06 AM
Default Advice on a Voyager

Hi,

I'm new on this forum, my name is Arjan, I live in the Netherlands. Me and 4 friends are doing a car event next year, called the carbagerun. (Carbagerun.nl)

The goal is to do a road trip with a car worth around 500 euro and from 1998 or before. Pimp the car, and do some challenges along the way.

My thought was to buy a Chrysler Voyager, as there are plenty available in indicated pricerange and they have a lot of room. (Plus i've had 3 Chrysler neons before, so I have "some" knowledge about how they work. Did most of the maintenance myself) I was looking for some advice on what voyager to buy, and what to watch out for.
  • What generation?
  • Common problems?
  • Manual or Automatic (I read a lot of messages that the auto is prone to failure?)
  • Other advice?

I'm aware that for this pricerange there aren't any perfect cars. My preference is the 1991-1994 model. It's the earliest model available, so the age makes them cheaper than models from a later year, in the same condition.

Regards,

Arjan van der Hulst

Old 08-20-2013, 10:38 AM

You've been watching BBC's "Top Gear" with Jeremy Clarkson & Co. haven't you?
You won't get much for £400 or so. In UK that's almost scrap price. So if it goes at all and looks like it might go for another 1000mile and doesn't leak anything vital onto the road -- go for it!

Leedsman.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Leedsman
You've been watching BBC's "Top Gear" with Jeremy Clarkson & Co. haven't you?
I do watch Top Gear sometimes But this is not their fault

Originally Posted by Leedsman
You've been watching BBC's "Top Gear" with Jeremy Clarkson & Co. haven't you? ....So if it goes at all and looks like it might go for another 1000mile and doesn't leak anything vital onto the road -- go for it!
That's what I was affraid of All the Voyagers that are in this category have a pretty high mileage (200-300k) are there any points I should watch? Most important things are chassis (for rust / rotting), engine, brakes, wheelbearings

Old 08-22-2013, 04:50 AM

Statistically, rust and rot are way down the bottom of the heap. Microprocessor and sensors are at the top plus the usual mechanical gremlins and wear. Check for blown fuses and why.

Leedsman.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:18 AM

Thanks for your reply. I will do that

Old 08-24-2013, 11:38 AM

They did have tranny problem around that time, at least here in the states. Some, or much of it caused by putting in the wrong tranny fluid. You might keep that in mind when changing fluid. Use what Chrysler recommends.