Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Con Woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 09:51 AM
Default Air Con Woes

Can anyone help please, aircon not working, took it to little French man, (UK spec 2.5d Voyager lost in France) he put it on machine and decided all good to regas still had some pressure no leaks etc, so the machine chugged burped and farted till it was done, great I thought air con at last!! well in the scheme of things NOPE not a sausage, the clutch wouldn't engage on the compressor so I whacked it with a soft mallet one problem solved, compressor now turning, but still no aircon?? the display tells me its on low and hopes to get cold, blowers working but no coldness, could some kind person please point me to a thread where this may have been covered or give some pointers of what to look for next? Temperatures are starting to rise, Thanks in advance.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:55 AM
tfb

really need to have the fault codes read, without them to guide you there are too many options.

Having said that, the aricon system is pretty much the same as a fridge. Fluid is pumped to a heat exchanger where it expands to a gas and cools down the air flowing through it into the cabin. The gas is then compressed back to a liquid and the heat is drawn out by a radiator at the front.

In it's simplest form the compressor is the only moving part of the system (though a car system is not in it's simplest form!) Then there is also the air distribution system to check, the air con may be working but if the flap that lets cold air into the cabin is stuck closed then you are going to be sweating!

Have a look at the manuals here
Index of /pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Service Manuals/2005_RG_Town&Country_Caravan_Voyager_Diesel_Versio ns_Include

Regards
Richard

Old 04-14-2015, 12:07 PM

Hi

Thank you for the reply, although the whole thing is gassed and the compressor is turning the pipes from the compressor should get hot and cold this is not happening, that's why I posted as I have gone as far as I can, the control panel is working so is the fan, wondering if there is a knack in getting it working??

Old 04-14-2015, 01:17 PM

Possibly pointing to your Compressor clutch not operating or retired. How can we tell if clutch is working as compressor pulley turns all the time. How about checking for a clutch voltage at said compressor.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:25 PM

I can see the Clutch engaging and disengaging, if the button is operated from the inside while I'm looking from the bottom, must admit when it engages the engine revs do not drop

Old 04-17-2015, 12:37 PM

Right, had it professionally looked at and the verdict is, no resistance whilst spinning the centre drive of the compressor with engine stopped, ie, the belt is holding the outer pulley stationery and the centre that drives the compressor through the clutch has no resistance what so ever, so compressor is errrr not well apparently you should be able to feel resistance as the inside of the compressor turns. So looked at the prices of Compressors and almost fell over, ho hum

Old 04-17-2015, 01:23 PM

Prepare for a bigger cost on top of the compressor. A decent aircon shop should change the orifice tube and the dryer/filter, as when the compressor is removed the whole system will become saturated with moisture which is a massive NO in aircon systems. If done quick enough you can get rid of the moisture with a long vacuum but the filter should still be replaced else if not too high a pressure could occur.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:40 PM

Yup, never rains but pours, still like it though

Old 04-17-2015, 02:52 PM

Might be cheaper buying another car needing work but with aircon working...

Old 04-17-2015, 02:58 PM

Steady!! I like a challenge, I once had a Range Rover P38, google the horror stories on them, this is a walk in the park, but still nice to be able to ask questions here and get sensible answers

Quick Reply: Air Con Woes