Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Air Con Woes

Old 04-17-2015, 03:21 PM

I stupidly didn't check the aircon when I bought mine as it was in winter. Came to the warmer months and obviously it wasn't working even though when I rechecked the advert it stated a/c was ice cold. Anyway went to check basics, pressure in system, clutch engaging when operating the switch then realised there wasn't a bloody compressor fitted!!! Had a smaller belt fitted bypassing the idler pulley and where the compressor should belong. I did contact the seller and he was adamant that he knew nothing about it.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:46 AM

I think that's called being Shafted, I would rather know the faults than have to find them all over again, I don't mind a challenge but a few clues along the way help, turns out the shaft is broke in my Compressor, awaiting the arrival of a second hand one.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:43 AM

There is a sensor inline that checks the pressure, too high or low and the clutch will not engage.

to validate the clutch is working, jumper 12V directly to the clutch, if you hear a clunk, it is working, otherwise the coil behind the clutch is open or burned up. Start there then check the sensors.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:24 AM

Hi thanks for the reply, I got the Wife to operate the aircon whilst I watched the clutch, it works perfectly

Old 04-30-2015, 07:34 AM

Compressor replaced all working, re gassed, must say the temp when checked by probe in the face vents was 4c that is Chilly

Old 06-11-2015, 07:47 AM

Yesterday i released that my Aircon not working. If i switch it on ,nothing happens under bonnet. I tried stright 12v and then chutch engaged and it started to spinn. Looks like ecu dont send signal or who know what. I took off today all fuse box,Totally opened it,cleaned all with contact cleaner,,inside out. Still nothing. Any idea?? No codes related to this.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by imtattoo80
Yesterday i released that my Aircon not working. If i switch it on ,nothing happens under bonnet. I tried stright 12v and then chutch engaged and it started to spinn. Looks like ecu dont send signal or who know what. I took off today all fuse box,Totally opened it,cleaned all with contact cleaner,,inside out. Still nothing. Any idea?? No codes related to this.

Either low or no gas, the switch on the condensor stuck therefor telling ecu there is no pressure or the 12v going to clutch via wiring not strong enough or clutch sticking on spline.

OR like mine, the shaft through the Compressor had broken free from the drive plate.

If some one can tell me how to upload pics direct from pc I will

Old 06-11-2015, 08:06 AM

So if gas pressure is low then ecu wont send volt to activate clutch??

Old 06-11-2015, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by imtattoo80
So if gas pressure is low then ecu wont send volt to activate clutch??

YUP, The inside of my Compressor Spot the unjoined part

Old 06-11-2015, 08:35 AM

I just booked Free aircon check in Halfords Autocentre today at 4.30pm. will see if there is any gas in it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Con Woes