Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 T&C cylinder 1 misfire

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 06:32 AM
Default 2002 T&C cylinder 1 misfire

Howdy,
I have a 2002 Town and Country that is giving me fits. As the title says I keep getting this code. Misfire in cylinder 1. I have tried new sparkplugs and wires. New coil. I have also installed a new fuel injector. This has been an ongoing problem. It will be fine for a while and then starts running rough and engine light will come back on. Now it is flashing but still giving the same code. I put a new plug in it last night, (that makes 3) and the one I pulled out was all gunked up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My bank account is as broke as this van and I really don't want to bring it in to a shop if I can avoid it.

Thanks alot.

Derek

Old 06-27-2013, 06:51 AM

I should have added that it is the 3.3 6 cylinder with FWD flexfuel model.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by rugerdooger
Howdy,
I have a 2002 Town and Country that is giving me fits. As the title says I keep getting this code. Misfire in cylinder 1. I have tried new sparkplugs and wires. New coil. I have also installed a new fuel injector. This has been an ongoing problem. It will be fine for a while and then starts running rough and engine light will come back on. Now it is flashing but still giving the same code. I put a new plug in it last night, (that makes 3) and the one I pulled out was all gunked up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My bank account is as broke as this van and I really don't want to bring it in to a shop if I can avoid it.

Thanks alot.

Derek
If it is all gunked up you have oil getting on the plug. you have ( but not likely ) broken oil ring and or you have a bad valve stem seal. this seal does the same thing as a drip edge on a house keeps the rain/oil from running down the valve stem and entering the combustion chamber. the plug is under the valve and the oil gets on it and causes it to foul. if you decide to change this your self make sure the piston is all the way up so if you have a problem with keeping pressure in the cylinder to keep the valve in place it won't fall into the cylinder. if it falls all the way into the cylinder then you'll have to pill the head to retrieve the valve. you should be well versed in doing this job before you start. while your in there do all of them on that side.

Hope this helps.