Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm problem & battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 07:16 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Not sure where to start re unplugging the aftermarket DVD player but will have a poke around it (in a methodical manner of course) one evening this week.

My wife has been driving around today and yesterday - normal short journeys - school run etc with the amplifer disconnected and touch wood, rub lucky rabbits foot - all seems to be ok ! No dead battery, no sweeping dials, no horrible clicking noises.... If I could only find my spare 10A fuses for the multimeter id have checked readings again tonight.

Test drove couple other MPVs this weekend as my wife has been so fed up with our Grand Voyager. As a result I seem to have fallen somewhat back in love with the old girl... (car, not wife) All the new cars with their "Automatic clutches" and tinny stereos make you realise just how good they actually are....

At the risk of going off topic - I have been spending more time than normal with the car last week or so and upon realising my sway bar bushes need replacing - also discovered what seems to be generous play in the passenger side front wheel. (It seems to rock "top to bottom" ??? A mechanic friend said he thought it felt like the steering rack another expensive sounding item !!!! While Im doing the sway bar bushes (am assuming I can do these from an inspection pit) anything I can look out for re the steering rack issue?

Old 07-06-2010, 12:40 PM

Hi
Anti roll bar D bushes are easy just one nut and bolt.
Steering rack is possible but you can get recon racks.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:38 PM
Default Update

Hi all,

I have now obtained a second hand amplifier and installed it - all working no problems at all for the last week !!!!

.......Other than the yellow engine warning light came on today - together with oil light. Immediatelty drove carefully to (non main-dealer garage) - car seemed to drive fine - who put it on their diagnostic machine which said "P1776" oh-oh.....

After diagnostics disconnected - engine and oil lights went out seemingly of their own accord... I get the feeling this may only be short lived reprieve.

Thank you to all who gave time, help and assistance for the battery drain problem... do I need to be starting a new thread ?

Mark

Old 07-27-2010, 01:42 PM

Hi
There is a TSB for code P1776 and involves a software update for the TCM I recommend you get this checked as the software also helps prevent gearbox damage. Are you sure it's the oil light? as this code normally puts on the yellow malfunction light not the oil light.
Edit: sorry and well done on the battery drain and thanks for coming back with an update.

Last edited by Merlin; 07-27-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:28 PM
Default 2002 Battery Drain on Town & Country

I also have a 02 Town & Country van. It will drain the battery over night. Battery and alternator test ok. So after testing circuits found that all is well if I pull the IOD fuse. not sure what all this circuit powers but that solves my battery drain. Tried unplugging the radio and removing it then putting the IOD fuse back in and still have the same problem. Battery dies. Even with the IOD fuse pulled I still hear a loud static for 1 sec when I first turn key on thru the speakers. Is there a factory amp hidden somewhere that has power with key on that can cause the drain?

Old 05-14-2016, 02:31 PM
Default Classic.

Sounds like you have a glitched up microprocessor (in the body module).
This subject was aired many years ago here. All sorts of errors keep happening with apparently no connexion with each other. The general cure is usually to simply disconnect the battery -ve for a while until the glitches have gone.
But why is the micro getting glitched up anyhow?
You need to check the "hash" on the 12volt line as the battery is being charged by the alternator, the best way is by an oscilloscope. But this is outside the means of most amateur mechanics usually. There is only one place "hash" comes from -- the alternator, as it is charging the battery. In the old days it was called alternator whine because it made a whining noise on the radio on AM., esp. long wave.
The glitches can turn something on when car is unattended as even when ign. is "off" some circuits are always powered. (The background drain at ign. off on my battery is 35m/A). All alternators create some hash, they rely on the battery "clamping" the voltage to 13.8volt or 14.4volt in some cases. Poor batteries won't clamp the 12volt line properly.

You need to research fully on here about this strange effect first before anything else so you understand the modality of this whole odd business. This can save you money! Batteries are expensive and will be ruined by sulphation if not kept properly charged.

Meanwhile you CAN check for slightly poor joints throughout the battery circuit, not forgetting the ground strap from engine to chassis, and the connexion between battery -ve and body. If rusty, clean the steel with a file to bright metal on all sides then reassemble with a little grease to prevent it happening again. Check the goodness of the alternator output nut, be careful, it's brass*. Also check goodness of starter motor power connector. All should be good and tight as 400amps can flow through here.
*This nut is live all the time as long as battery is connected, and can deliver a lot of amps, causing a fire if you aren't careful with any tool.

I mentioned the body module. The connectors to this module can get slightly intermittent with time. Just push them in and out a few times to clear slight corrosion and see if there's any improvement. This intermittent fault really can seem like there's an evil gremlin in your GV. But DO read the history on here. There are many causes of "battery flat in the morning".

Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 05-14-2016 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:06 PM

Depends on the spec of your car but the IOD [Ignition off draw] 'factory-fuse' variously controls :

Remote key fob
Radio
Heater blower
Folding mirrors
Central locks
Interior lights when the key is in the ignition
Power seats

According to Chrysler's own workshop manual :

Allow twenty minutes for the IOD to stabilize and observe the multi-meter reading. The low-amper- age IOD should not exceed twenty-five milliamperes (0.025 ampere). If the current draw exceeds twenty-five milliamperes, isolate each circuit using the fuse and circuit breaker remove-and-replace process in Step 4. The multi-meter reading will drop to within the acceptable limit when the source of the excessive current draw is disconnected. Repair this circuit as required; whether a wiring short, incorrect switch adjustment, or a component failure is at fault.

CAUTION: Do not open any doors, or turn on any electrical accessories with the lowest milliampere scale selected, or the multi-meter may be damaged.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:21 PM

Going all the way back to the battery replacement.............
I have owned 2 voyagers since 2004 , and on both of them the battery was a complete nause. When both dials swing over to the right and slowly return...that is time for new battery.
Ended up finding the Optima redtop was the only one that really lasted the test of time........... others failed within weeks even though they came at a price and reccomended for the vehicle.Started failing with problems as you have described.
Also the central locking problem can be reset short term by disconnecting battery for 10 seconds / removing fuse..... It might last a week or 1 day .However a permanent fix is a main dealer reset ( as only dealers can ).
Also had an ignition barrel rebuilt by main dealer for £280 in 2012.
Chrysler only sold bags of 50 of everything needed for tumbler replacements and would have been more than £800 DIY. All ways round they gottcha.
Lastly ........somebody mentioned pressing the fob button a max of twice.............. In fact if you press it a 3rd time the car doors are alarmed but it kills the internal sensors so that you can leave a pet or person in it ( obviously not reccomended for long periods of time ).
I wish you well.............When they work they are the best drive around ! !

Last edited by bigyellowcroc; 05-15-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:58 AM
Default UK 2008 Grand Voyager

Originally Posted by markyb7
Hi all, have read previous posts re alarm etc which seem to bear similarities to my problem - hope someone can offer some help or suggestions.

We have a 2004 Grand Voyager that has in the last six months exhibited a seemingly random problem of the battery being completely and utterly dead when you try and start it.

Roadside assistance have been out three/four times and have jump started off booster. Drive away and all ok for a few weeks/month and journeys of various lengths and then for no reason its just dead on start up again.

Last roadside guy said the battery wasnt showing a drain but suggested we replaced it so after hunting around bought new battery from main dealer (£150.00 supply only !!!!)

Changed battery over and had no problems for over a month until one morning at 2am alarm went off (indicators not flashing) and would not switch off. Ended up disconnecting battery and after several alarm cycles it stopped sounding.

Reconnected battery in morning and was completely dead. Jumped battery off booster pack and everything seemed to be working fine for few days - excpet for permanent little red light on dashboard.

One afternoon alarm goes off again but whilst driving along this time and with indicators flashing.... cycles through a few times and seems ok again.. Red light on dashboard has now gone out but notice that central locking is working with fob but not with keys ?

Last night alarm went off again in middle of night and would not turn off again.. car currently sitting in my drive with battery disconnected surrounded by some increasingly unhappy neaighbours.....

Help !
From UK-Hi- recent same issue with 2.8 CRD EX- 2 x New Batteries and Alarm still went off at 4 am!-
I've been told it could be the remarry of the fob, or the bonnet alarm switch.
We spent hundreds at stealer dealers last May on new alternator- this recent issue happening since the very hot spell we had!
I'll try the bonnet turret thing as it is loose and looks rusty. Work in progress!!

Old 01-22-2023, 06:52 PM

The ac coming on when l0
Originally Posted by markyb7
Before amplifer disconnected was showing drain of 0.85

Pulled out 30A Central Amp fuse and drain drops to steady 0.03

Disconnected amplifier completely and drain with "fuse in" alternates every few seconds between 0.03 and 0.05 ?

Tried turning radio off before turning ignition off - no discernable difference.

Tried wiggling key in lock and learnt that turning key to accessory mode will blow the 10A fuse in my multimeter....

Didnt seem to make a difference but to be honest not sure how to lock car, let it settle for 30 mins and then wiggle key whilst watching the meter... Am sure theres an obvious way of doing this and im just being dim ?

Re central locking issue, have now re-checked and internal lock button does lock all doors. All doors lock from both key fobs. Multi-press on alarm results in a "beep" for the first time in weeks (cant be linked to disconnecting amp surely)

Central locking does not work by turning key in either drivers or passengers door. Not really bothered but should this work ? All doors open and lock mechanically with no probs.

Also noticed that Aircon/climate control now comes on when I start the car - even if it was turned off before removing key... poss link to dodgy barrel ?

Soooooooo... In summary:

1) Might it be worth me buying a second-hand amplifer.. theres one on ebay at moment for £105.00 - OR does the fluctuating drain indicate something else might be going on ?

2) If I get the barrel changed is this a DIY job or does in involve getting new keys cut etc ? If its a dealer job what might the £ be ????

Thanks for all your help guys...