Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

anyone to advise asap please

Old 10-01-2014, 04:39 AM
Default anyone to advise asap please

hi all, 3rd question i have ever asked since joining, i know it may sound cheeky as i never have any input into others questions but i dont know anything about cars hence my asking, but i would really appreciate some advice, i got in car this morning and my 98 voyager 2l when started was stiff to go into first and then it wouldnt shift into any other gears, i turned it off and it then went straight into the different gears , but when i turned back on the same problem happened so i have been unable to use it, the clutch pedal is very floppy and when i depress it i can hear what i can only describe as a springy metal sound xx would appreciate any advice many thanks x

Old 10-01-2014, 06:34 AM

The device which operates the clutch is obviously not working, hence jammed gears. It's usually a cable or sometimes hydraulic, but as I've not had a manual car in a long time, someone else here will show you the ropes (or cables).

Leedsman.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:49 AM

As above... Could also be clutch release bearing problem! When was the clutch plate last replaced? How many miles on the car? It this is a hydraulic operated clutch? Take a look at the Clutch/brake fluid reservoir and see how much is in there. You may have a leak? This needs to be taken into a garage if you don't know what you're doing.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:09 AM

ty for the replies, its got 100k plus on the car, i have no idea when anything was replaced, until today i have had no problems with the gears even sticking or being hesitat to change, its just flown though its mot apart from a brake cylinder on the wheel area? i have checked all fluid levels and all are ok,the brake one is about 3cm above the add level, last few days though its been a bit juddery on pulling off and have had to give more gas or is this just coincidence?

Old 10-01-2014, 02:08 PM

From your juddery on pulling off and more gas you possibly need a new clutch as its on the rivits. But saying that you got to start at beginning and get clutch operation checked.
As to which garage, take it to your mot one as they seem legit, only a brake cylinder, that's a first. Some garages make there money by fleecing Lady motorists, as they don't know any better.
Good luck and report back what happens. And, just ask...

Old 10-01-2014, 03:18 PM

ty for your reply, i know i was chuffed with an 80 quid bill for mot i so need my car as i have just had daughter take me to make my deliveries nd shes a newish driver and all i can say is OMG my leg hurts from pretend braking :/ pure coincidence but we had a 2nd hand starter fitted a few weeks ago and when we start car it starts but theres an initial clunk?

Old 10-05-2014, 08:06 AM

another quick question please, still having problem with the above problem, i have checked the reservoir and as soon as i removed the plastic cap i can see the fluid and theres ample so presume im not leaking fluid because its full, also tried pumping the pedal 60-100 ties as per another post in the forum but still no joy, i cant afford to have it taken to garage just yet until hubsters payday. i did have to drive it other day to collect disabled son as he had fallen ill and i found if i depressed pedal half way it went into gear not as smooth as normally did but easier than when i started the thread, does anyone have any more things i can try please tia x

Old 10-06-2014, 04:06 AM
tfb

it is possible, though difficult to drive without a clutch. It's a matter of matching the engine revs when changing gear - let the revs drop when trying to change up and raise the revs when changing down.

It is unlikely that your clutch plate is worn as it would "slip" when you tried accelerating. The most likely thing is the mechanism which releases the clutch. This consists of the pedal, a fluid reservoir, a master cylinder, pipework, slave cylinder, forked arm and a bearing.

I'm not as familiar with the manual boxes as the auto boxes, but if you can find someone to press the clutch pedal for you then you may be able to look for the slave cylinder pushing the release fork. You need to break the fault down to inside the gearbox or outside the gearbox. The outside stuff being easier and cheaper to fix as it doesn't involve removing the gearbox.

Regards
richard

Old 10-06-2014, 07:19 AM

mobile mechanic just been an said its my clutch so need a full new kit price 400 well looks like im going to be scrapping my car

Old 10-06-2014, 07:45 AM
tfb

when he said it was your clutch, did he say what was wrong with it and why he had come to that conclusion?

Yes, I agree that it is a fault with the clutch system, but which part of that system?

Regards
Richard

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anyone to advise asap please