Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Australian 2001 Chrysler Grand Voyager issues

Old 08-01-2011, 01:53 AM
Default Australian 2001 Chrysler Grand Voyager issues

I have an Australian 2001 Chrysler Grand Voyager that has been having some issues. last year I had the TCM let go on me so I end up sending it to the US to have the unit repaired because there is no one in Australia that could do it and Chrysler Australia were trying to charge me $3500 to replace the unit. It only end up costing me around $400 to send it there for repair and return the item to me. All was good for 6 months then the same engine light, limp mode and P0700 code came back. I sent the unit back the the States to have the unit repaired under warranty. They fixed the unit but have told me that the cause of the TCM packing up again was the ECU and a low voltage battery. They have told me I need to have the ECU and battery replaced prior to putting the TCM back in as if I don't the unit may pack up again.
I have searched Australia and no one can repair ECU's, I have been told by Chrysler Australia that I can't use a second hand unit and it will cost me $1500 for a new unit + the reprograming costs and every one I have contacted in the States have said they can't offer a replacement either as the Australian and US units are different and not interchangable.
Can any one offer some assistance to me please. Does any one know of a good ECU rebuilder that can work on Australian units? Are the US and Australian units actually different and if so how? Does the story about the ECU making the TCM give up sound true? If I was to install the TCM again would the ECU actually make the TCM die again? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 08-11-2011, 09:40 PM

I received the TCM back from the states and replaced the battery and installed the TCM. Still no go. Stuck in limp mode with the same P0700 error code. Can some one please help. I'm stuck. Every mechanic in my town has no ideas what so ever when it comes to chryslers and the only code any of them can get out of the vehicle is the P0700 code.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:19 AM

I just took my Voyager to another mechanic who has just received a new snap-on diagnostics tool. He hooked it up and it spat out P1684 which I believe is a battery disconected fault and p0700 wich is a tcm fault. He then went into the transmision side of things and it gave him P0605 and P1792. He cleared all the codes fro me but 10 metres down the road and the egine light is back onand still in limp mode. Can any one tell me what those last two codes would be and if either of them could be the reason it is in limp mode still.
Thanks Carl

Old 08-19-2011, 11:04 AM

Hi Syco26,

Is there any changes on your car problem? I also have Australian 2003 G.Voyager and engine light issue. The error code is not the same one it is 0601.
Where did you get your PCM replacement from?

Thanks,

Old 08-22-2011, 08:04 PM

Hello Hc2003,

No I haven't had it resolved yet and still have the issue. I got the TCM rebuilt through auto comuter ace. They seemd pretty good and the vehicles issues were gone for a few months but back again. Sent the TCM back to them and had it rebuilt again and they said the fault was due to the ECU and possibly low charge in the battery and told me to replace the battrey and the ECU. I've changed the battery but have done any thing yet about the ecu.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:41 PM

Hi syco26,

Thanks for the reply. I'm also desperately looking for someone/somewhere to get ECM repaired or reprogrammed. Dealer quoted me $3.5K? I contacted more than 6-7 places in US but they are not sending a replacement module or repair service except AutoComputerExchange. They ask me to send the module to them to get repaired. I will send it to US after looking all of the other options. I'm looking a replacement module instead of sending my module because the car is still working and we need to used it daily. It looks like there is not that much option in here anyway.

Have you considered to order brand new part from US and get reprogrammed here? It is not a cheap option but it is still cheaper than what dealer quoted.

Do you have contact details for Auto Computer aCe guys? when I searched I couldn't find any related one.

thanks,

Old 08-25-2011, 05:27 PM

Hc2003,
Here is the link Auto Computer Exchange | Engine & Transmission Control Units
Not sure if you can purchase a new unit from the states. I have been told that the US units and the Australian units are actually different and not interchangable.. Not sure how or why they would be like this as the vehicle is originaly and american manafactured car. Also not sure if you can send the a unit from another vehicle as they need to insert the vin number onot the replacment unit and I've been told that only chrusler australia can do that and they charge like wounded bulls to make up for the lost money on a new unit.
I'm getting to the point where I'm just going to sell it and never by chrysler again. ***** me though as they make a nice family van and every thing else here is either too small, too over priced or just pure junk.
Could you please let me know if you find somewhere to get your problem solved and I'll do the same for you.
Thanks

Old 08-25-2011, 09:53 PM

Hi syco26,

I feel the same way exactly same way. We bought the car just last year because of the new member of the family. The car itself is great we love it but this thing scared us a lot. We started think that we may sell and get different brand but there are not that much options on the market now if you are not planing to put lots of money on the car.

There is another member of this forum who sourced UK based company and they are sending a brand new unit. It is expensive than US based sources but it is a brand new unit. I will wait until his/her responses.

Here is the link for the thread.
https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...198/#post53791

Thanks