Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auto fault

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 07:09 AM
Default auto fault

Hi----please be gentle on me----I just joined you today

I have a grand voyager that has a few small ? issues---------
I will start with the one that I am afraid will leave me stranded

Often when starting off from cold, I can go about 20-- 30ft---then the drive just drops out---no gears at-all------the only way I have found to get drive back is to keep turning key off and re-starting the engine---sometimes 5--6 times, then the drive is back with me again-----------it has happened a second time within 1/4 mile but if I accelerate quite it seems to avoid doing it-----but this is not always possible.----------this fault has not happened when the car has been driven 1/2 mile or more-------but if I warm it up before I drive, it can still drop out of drive
I had a friend read the codes and he got------P0731-------------P0732---------------P0944
Any suggestions??????
Thanks---Nigel

Old 02-10-2013, 04:13 PM
Default lets try an air-bag fault-----

Didn't get much response for my gear-box fault
So I will try another one-------my air-bag light is on all the time (the cruise-control works)--a friend checked for codes------p0731---p0732---p0944----------I don't know where to start with this one,---the air-bags seem to be linked to everything
Thanks for any suggestions
Nigel

Old 02-10-2013, 11:40 PM

Your gear ratio error codes can be caused by something as cheap and easy to change as the input/output speed sensors or something as costly as worn clutches. You can change the senors and hope for the best or take it to a shop, have them scan it with a dedicated transmission scanner. They will look for additional codes and read the clutch volume index numbers and determine if you need a rebuild to include new clutch linings. Or you can cut to the chase, drop the fluid pan and inspect for debris. If it's there you need a rebuild. If you see none a fluid and filter change may help. Use only ATF+4 fluid.

Your SRS light indicates a code is stored in the SRS controller. To read the code you need a scanner capable of reading "chassy" codes beginning with a "C" instead of the usual "P".

Last edited by Raptor 07; 02-10-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:30 AM
tfb

As Raptor07 says it could be the sensors but the 1st thing to check is that the fluid condition is good and at the correct level. The last fault code is loss of hydraulic pressure which can be caused by low fluid and would tie in with the other codes, but it still could be worn clutches or the hydraulic pump.

I see that you are west suffolk, if you can get it up to Chatteris, Cambridgeshire then I can read the body codes for you.

Regards

Richard

Old 02-11-2013, 04:04 AM

Hi Raptor-----thanks for your response.

Hi Richard------I may well take you up on that---I can't see much point in just trying things to find the problem---it would be much better to pinpoint the cause-------do you work on (other peoples) cars ???---or just your own??
Thanks for your help
Nigel

Old 02-11-2013, 10:08 AM
tfb

I'm not a professional mechanic but I have spent the last 25 years or so fixing my own and friends cars. My work will come with no guarantee, but then again there is no charge! I know enough about cars and my own abilities to know when to stop and to not bugger things up but even then sometimes you end up with bolts snapping etc.

I will certainly help you have a look at the car and we can see what we can do. A fluid change on a transmission is well within my abilities, complete replacement of a transmission I could do - but time would be the factor for that. Stripping down and rebuilding a gearbox is beyond me though.

Send me a PM if you want to chat.

Regards

Richard

Old 02-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Default Auto Fault.

Hi Sundowners,
Good response here from TFB and Raptor, so I can't say much more. But I take it that the Auto box is not low in fluid as Pressure is mentioned. As said dropping pan is required to check for debrie...
Only thing I can come up with is Pressure Switch fault.
Interested in result here...
Goggs.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by tfb
I'm not a professional mechanic but I have spent the last 25 years or so fixing my own and friends cars. My work will come with no guarantee, but then again there is no charge! I know enough about cars and my own abilities to know when to stop and to not bugger things up but even then sometimes you end up with bolts snapping etc.

I will certainly help you have a look at the car and we can see what we can do. A fluid change on a transmission is well within my abilities, complete replacement of a transmission I could do - but time would be the factor for that. Stripping down and rebuilding a gearbox is beyond me though.

Send me a PM if you want to chat.

Regards

Richard

Thanks for that Richard
I can't work out how to PM yet--------maybe bacause I am a new boy
I would like to come over to you -------but I am really busy at the moment, but would like to contact you a bit later (I have just started ripping our kitchen out-----can't scive off 'til it is working again)
Nigel

Old 02-11-2013, 06:31 PM

Hey sundowners. Neither here nor there but, I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath 87-92 Lived mainly in Mundford, Norfolk. Lived in Brandon for a short time. We really hated to leave. That was without a doubt our best assignment while in the USAF. Small world.

BTW - Happy to hear you're not throwing parts at it. Too many do.

Last edited by Raptor 07; 02-11-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Raptor 07
Hey sundowners. Neither here nor there but, I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath 87-92 Lived mainly in Mundford, Norfolk. Lived in Brandon for a short time. We really hated to leave. That was without a doubt our best assignment while in the USAF. Small world.

BTW - Happy to hear you're not throwing parts at it. Too many do.
Hi Raptor
We are at Lakenheath------weather is not quite the same as California------
We visited LA (we did R 66) then San Fransisco and Lake Tahoe (sp), with the Ram and truck camper that we still have-------sorry--bit off topic
Nigel

Quick Reply: auto fault