Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Battery Drain/Non Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 05:17 AM
Default Battery Drain/Non Start

Battery Drain/Non Start
At a bit of loss guys as have read over the forums here and done i think most things suggested

2002 2.5 CRD Voyager

got the van and are pleased with it noticed the window on drivers side wasnt working most likely needing a new motor/regulator. However the next day went to van and it wouldn't start gave it a jump and started. Went for a run to give it a good blast. The next morning again non start took the battery out and gave it a good charge and charger indicated full charged. We have read thru the forums and saw about parasitic drainage as it was getting later at night we decided after reading to leave it to the morning also learning about the IOD Fuse which we had pulled and saw the drop immediately. So this morning we connected the battery as had the sense to leave it disconnected so no need to charge it yet again. Tested the Voltage on the battery with nothing on it was 12V. Took of the negative cable and read amp and it was sitting about 40 milliamps which looks like no drain. Put it all back together and decided to test the volts with engine running which read 13.5V which again seems to read that tha alternator is charging the battery any ideas please and thank you

Old 02-13-2013, 11:24 AM

How old is the battery? Do you hear anything when turning the key?
I had a battery in mine that even when fully charged, would die easily.
I bought a new opitma red battery (coil type) which has a high CCA, and ive never looked back!
Optima Red Top RT C 4.2 (8001-287) (BCI 34) RTC4.2 AGM - Optima Batteries - Optima Red Top Batteries

Old 02-13-2013, 02:14 PM

Grand Voyager Ltd 2.8 CRD Braun Entervan (04)

Mine had the same issue, It seems a pretty common fault.
I just got myself a sealed EXIDE AGM battery 90ah with 750 Cranking Amps
(blue top with like a 6 pack base)
Again very good so far! My Voyager is draining it all the time still & I have had to fit a Dashboard mounted charging point by Ctek for when the car will be stood for 5 days.
I have been told by the "AA breakdown" that sometimes a Tracker can put excesive drain on the battery. The previous "original" owner of my car had a tracker fitted, But do you think I can find it, No.

Where is the IOD fuse located?, as I had sudden power failure on one occasion also.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:30 PM

in the fuse box next to battery the IOD fuse is no 14 as you look down at it closest to you at right hand side if i remember rightly but if you turn the lid upside down i am sure it says there

Old 02-13-2013, 03:41 PM

Contact have you tried doing this is may help you find your drain
i found it really useful

Old 02-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Default Battery drain none start.

Seem to remember somewhere on here about if you leave Radio on and with Ignition Key out, the power still goes to each speaker as it has its own Amplifier. Is this right.
Goggs

Old 02-15-2013, 07:48 AM

Just checked mines (2.5 crd 2002 too), the battery voltage is 12.5v. Thats a bit down from when it was a new battery to be honest (sat about 12.6v before), if it drops to about 12.4v, and it's a cold morning, mines would struggle to start.

Just put a meter on it, ticking over the voltage is 13.94v. Put on the blower, lights, main beam, heated seats etc and it holds steady. When you start switching on the electrics, does the charging voltage stay steady at 13.5v?

Better than the above, heres a link to my own thread a couple of years back.

https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...crd-ltd-12687/

Old 02-16-2013, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Audrey Duffield
Contact have you tried doing this is may help you find your drain How To Perform a Parasitic Draw Test - EricTheCarGuy - YouTube i found it really useful
I have found this video to be very helpful, Thanks.

Although my 2.8 voyager is an ENTERVAN, so the drain on mine is the computer that controls the wheelchair access ramp.

Look at this PriorityStart - 12-Volt Mobility ProMax Information

Old 02-16-2013, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Contact
I have found this video to be very helpful, Thanks.

Although my 2.8 voyager is an ENTERVAN, so the drain on mine is the computer that controls the wheelchair access ramp.

Look at this PriorityStart - 12-Volt Mobility ProMax Information
Wow looks like a good piece of equipment and peace of mind thanks

Old 02-16-2013, 01:26 PM

Don't know if this its the correct thread or not and apologies if it isn't !

I have posted before but as I still haven't rectified my problems I'm back again,
I have a Left hand drive 2001 3.3L automatic Petrol/gas Chrysler Voyager.

The battery keeps going flat on me overnight randomly sometimes it may be a week or more others its flat every morning.
when I use it,(I another vehicle which is more economical) I do 2x40mins runs a day in it about 12miles each way, I've made sure the radio is switched off before leaving the vehicle.
The last couple of times the battery has been flat I've noticed on approaching the vehicle that the wipers are in 'mid swipe' as if the ignition has been switched off with the wipers in the on position, I made sure they were switched off prior to leaving the vehicle.
I have previously left one of the wiper relay's out overnight and the battery has remained charged but can't gaurantee that this is the cause or know how to rectify it.
Today I have recharged the battery and switched over the two wiper relays which are identical I don't know if this will work but am at a loss as what to do to fix my problem.
As a short term fix I carry a spare battery and jump leads in case it lets me down through the day.
Can anyone help me PLEASE ?
Steve

Quick Reply: Battery Drain/Non Start