Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Battery Drainage

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 08:17 AM
Default Battery Drainage

I have posted before but as I still haven't rectified my problems I'm back again,
I have a Left hand drive 2001 3.3L automatic Petrol/gas Chrysler Voyager.

The battery keeps going flat on me overnight randomly sometimes it may be a week or more others its flat every morning.
when I use it,(I another vehicle which is more economical) I do 2x40mins runs a day in it about 12miles each way, I've made sure the radio is switched off before leaving the vehicle.
The last couple of times the battery has been flat I've noticed on approaching the vehicle that the wipers are in 'mid swipe' as if the ignition has been switched off with the wipers in the on position, I made sure they were switched off prior to leaving the vehicle.
I have previously left one of the wiper relay's out overnight and the battery has remained charged but can't gaurantee that this is the cause or know how to rectify it.
Today I have recharged the battery and switched over the two wiper relays which are identical I don't know if this will work but am at a loss as what to do to fix my problem.
As a short term fix I carry a spare battery and jump leads in case it lets me down through the day.
Can anyone help me PLEASE ?
Steve

Old 02-17-2013, 02:19 PM

Get a digital volt/ohm meter that has the capability of reading current. Attach it in series between the positive post and the pos cable of the battery. There is always a surge when you make the connection so you need to do this in such a way as to protect the meter from the surge. Try disconnecting the battery. and make a jumper between the cable and post then connect the meter parallel to the jumper. Wait several minutes for the thing to settle down, then remove the jumper leaving the meter in place.
With everything settled down, the current should read about 50 milliamps or less. This represents the current drawn by the clock and the receiver for the keyless entry, both of which are always on.
If it's significantly more that that, start pulling fuses one by one until you isolate the circuit with the short. Use the guide on the underside of the fusebox cover to identify the various circuits. Once identified you'll need to trace down whatit is in the circuit is causing the problem. Could be lots of things like a bad component in the circuit or a wire with it's insulation damaged or something similar. Could be a light left on somewhere (not an infrequent issue in minivans where kids leave lights on).
Even if you can succeed only in locating the circuit, you can leave the fuse out until you can hire somebody to take a closer look, and you'll save the labor of hunting down the circuit.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:27 PM

or buy a battry optimizer keeps mine sweet

Old 02-18-2013, 05:33 AM

Thanks very much Guys for your assistance, I hate electrics but will buy or borrow a voltmeter asap (payday!) went to it again this morning and the battery was flat and the wipers had moved, so at the moment the batttery's on charge and my next move is to remove the wiper relays whilst not using the vehicle and test the battery daily.
By the way my interior lights also stay on permanent so I removed the bulbs (one strange quirk is that the front curtousy lights works as normaL! it's the middle and rear that stay on !
Once again thanks for all the help and will keep you all posted.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:19 AM
tfb

With regard to the interior lights, have you checked the position of the dimmer switch? On mine if that's rotated fully one way to the click point then the rear/middle interior lights are on.

Did you try the trick with a camcorder to see if the wipers were coming on during the night?

Regards

Richard

Old 02-19-2013, 05:15 AM

i had the same problums had to bye a new battery and a battery conditioner because the fauilt couldent be found so noight times i put mine on a battery optimizer no probs now

Old 02-19-2013, 06:57 AM

TBF.
I haven't checked the dimmer switch but will do so this evening !
GLEN
It was a new battery before I bought the vehicle however I carry a larger size and more powerful battery in the boot to jump the car if needed !

Car has the recharged battery on at the moment with the wiper relays removed to see if the battery stays charged overnight, fingers crossed !

Old 02-19-2013, 05:24 PM

mine would just go flat with no warning you go to turn the key the wipers would move the speedo and rev counter would go to max then back to 0 but would not start even got a small soler panel fitted in the car just to keep triqualling up the batterywhen im out but even chrsler could even sort it and my local car elec shop could not sort it acording to a lot of poeple its a commen fauilt that cant be sorted so i just got a batgery optimizer for £39.99 at amazon good luk

Old 02-19-2013, 05:26 PM

sorry battery optimizer

Old 02-20-2013, 06:30 AM
Default Dimmer switch

Originally Posted by tfb
With regard to the interior lights, have you checked the position of the dimmer switch? On mine if that's rotated fully one way to the click point then the rear/middle interior lights are on.

Did you try the trick with a camcorder to see if the wipers were coming on during the night?

Regards

Richard
With regards the dimmer switch it was indeed in the full on position !
Its fine in any other position except full on.
I think it's similar to the wiper switch, you have varying degrees of brightness for the interior light but the full on position leaves the lights on permanent, say for if your leaving someone in the car for a while on an evening who maybe wants to read ?

The battery is fine at the moment but I'm leaving the wiper replay switches out for as long as I can to see if the bsattery keeps its charge for a longer period !

Quick Reply: Battery Drainage