Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Black smoke

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 07:06 AM
Default Black smoke

What would cause this? I hardly use the car except once a week, could that cause this

There is no loss of power, the smoke is like a cloud, enough to blind those behind me. happens when accelerate hard and idling is fine and no change in performance. Just when getting an auto electrician to fix the battery issue this weekend this happens.

Or could it be problem stemming from when i had the cam sensor code come up and engine light came on (now its off)

Old 09-16-2014, 07:18 AM

This could be a number of things! The 1st thing I'd do is look at the fuel/Air and Maff! Change or clean them. Have you changed fuels? Use some V-Power with BG244 in the fuel! Sounds like a over fueling problem. Any fault codes coming up? Do a key dance to see whats stored...

Old 09-16-2014, 07:36 AM

Could also be bad valve seals

Old 09-16-2014, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by timmytim
this could be a number of things! The 1st thing i'd do is look at the fuel/air and maff! Change or clean them. Have you changed fuels? Use some v-power with bg244 in the fuel! Sounds like a over fueling problem. Any fault codes coming up? Do a key dance to see whats stored...

p0340

Is there a a basic/rudementary test of checking to see if its injectors?

Last edited by darkcild101; 09-16-2014 at 07:56 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 09-16-2014, 07:53 AM

Hi, if this began after the battery had been changed my first action would be to check and make sure all of the cables had been hooked back up, especially if he's replaced the cable terminal.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Vonhofinvule
Hi, if this began after the battery had been changed my first action would be to check and make sure all of the cables had been hooked back up, especially if he's replaced the cable terminal.

What cable is that please

Old 09-17-2014, 06:00 AM

The red + side of the battery has several cables leading into the fuse box. I'd check to be sure none had been missed and left disconnected.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Vonhofinvule
The red + side of the battery has several cables leading into the fuse box. I'd check to be sure none had been missed and left disconnected.

Thanks friend. I will check when i get home

Out of curiosity, is there a way of determing (without taking to a garage) if its the injectors causing it?

Old 09-17-2014, 12:04 PM

I know of no system to check injectors whilst they are in the engine! It should bring up a fault code! Only way I know is to remove the injectors fir testing! A lot if time they can be sorted by a new fuel filter an BG244 in a tank of V-Power diesel! Worth a go and cheaper to do!...

Old 09-17-2014, 12:55 PM

Darkcild, you haven't said what engine you have in your GV., is it petrol or diesel, and if diesel which engine. I understand some of the very old diesels can be indirect with passive injectors, (425 OHV) in which case the whole fuel supply is different from commonrail which has active injectors.

Leedsman.

Quick Reply: Black smoke