Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Black Smoke Revisited

Old 09-25-2014, 03:55 AM
Default Black Smoke Revisited

Since I retired, I don't do a lot of mileage in my Voyager, mainly short trips around town with the occasional 100 mile motorway journey.
Going back to last winter, each time I started my 2.8 CRD I could see a bit of black smoke from the exhaust. This would disappear when the engine warmed up a bit. I've not experienced the smoking during the warm weather.
However, last week I returned home from a 4 week trip to Spain and France during which time I travelled 3k of mainly motorway miles. No problems with the car during the trip but since arriving home I see thick clouds of black smoke whenever I accelerate hard.
I have ordered a new fuel filter and a can of BG244 which I'm hoping will at least improve the problem. I've seen a few posts which recommend pouring the BG244 directly into the filter but do I fill the filter with it or just a few drops and put the rest in the tank?

Old 09-25-2014, 06:39 AM

Pro. mechanics usually put an injector cleaner in the fuel filter. Whether this works or not depends on what is contaminating the injector(s) or disturbing them. If the injector is "coked" with carbon, there is nothing known to man that will dissolve it. Sometimes it can be burned off with a high-rev run.
It's well possible your injectors may need reconditioning. They replace the pintle which is most likely to be worn, then test in air to see if the output looks like misty smoke with no dribbles of neat diesel. Some injectors are calibrated to a partic. cylinder, so it's best to see the recon. injectors go back in their own cylinders.
If you have been abroad, it's possible your tank has some less than cetane #51* diesel in it, although if only in Europe, this should not be so.
Drivers who keep a hawkeye on diesel fuel consumption can tell immediate if an injector is "off" as the fuel consumption rises noticeably usually without black smoke.

Leedsman.
* The cetane number refers to the burning speed of diesel. The higher the number the faster. It is the opposite of octane number for petrol, where the higher the number the slower the burn. In Europe/UK there is no point in using diesel with a higher cetane number than 51 as all euro engines are designed and controlled for this number.

Last edited by Leedsman; 09-25-2014 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:20 AM

@ Leedsman, what better BG244 or Forte?

Old 09-25-2014, 07:36 AM

The pro. mechanics use Forte' here in Leeds.

Leedsman.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Leedsman
The pro. mechanics use Forte' here in Leeds.

Leedsman.
Thats good enough for me and considering BG244 is almost twice the price of Forte, easy enough choie

Old 09-25-2014, 10:51 AM

BG244 is far better than forte stuff! Look at the amount of PAO in the both of them to see thay BG244 has alot more! I will try and find discount codes for folks who wanna use the stuff! The reason why mechanics usually pour it into the filter is to try and blast it through for an MOT test! Best way is to stick it in the fuel tank! Thats the reason why the manufacturer of the stuff doesn't tell you to stick it in the fuel filter! There is a reason...

Old 09-25-2014, 11:17 AM

SEP20 for 20% off powerenhancer web site...

Old 09-25-2014, 12:12 PM

I paid £22.95 including delivery from PowerEnhancer on eBay. I'll report back on my results after I've fitted the new fuel filter and done a few miles with the BG244.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:17 PM

Could well be the case that no injector cleaner has any effect on the poster's black smoke. We are of course assuming clogged injectors are responsible for it. We don't really know yet.

Leedsman.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:39 PM

Put the BG244 in a tank on Shell V-Power derv! If I remember correctly once you get to half a tank you need to fill up again! I might be wrong as I did mine about 8k ago...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Black Smoke Revisited