Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body control module update?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 08:45 AM
Default Body control module update?

Having read loads of threads here, I understand that on my 2004 Grand Voyager, there is a bcm update available that should fix my central locking problems. Is there anywhere to download this update from?

My car is going into a friends garage soon, he has Launch diagnostics and we're thinking maybe he could apply the update?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Duncan

Old 03-28-2015, 04:33 AM
tfb

Launch can't do it. Only a DRB III. So it will be a main dealer job

Regards
Richard

Old 03-29-2015, 02:33 PM

Launch as the name states is a 'diagnostic' tool, it can do much magic but EEPROM flashing is not one of them my friend. Central locking can sometimes be fixed with a X431 by re-setting a corrupted default country code or inoperable 'customer preference' such as lock~all~doors or other BCM setting. It [the process] is at best hit & miss. Best of luck.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:19 AM
Default Update

So I booked my trusty old Grand Voyager into Lookers of Cardiff, Chrysler Dealer. Quoted £49 to do the update, brilliant I thought. Arrived on the given day, assumed as on £49 it would be around half an hour, wrong, apparently the technician was having all sorts of troubles applying the updates, after 3 hours he gave up and handed me back the keys, telling me that the car would not accept the updates, no reason as to why. No charge. Any more ideas anyone, or anyone know a garage in South Wales that could do it? Cheers Duncan

Old 05-20-2015, 02:43 AM

i had this same issue the technician said that the new equipment couldnt do the updates on my vehicle and they would have to get the old equipment to do it and aparantly there is only one floating around the uk dealers and they need to locate it ..

to me this is just an excuse and the technician doesnt have a clue how to do the update .. i looked online and it does seem complicated

Old 05-20-2015, 02:46 AM

Yep, I had the same, but the tech that did mine, said he tried the new equipment, then he even tried to do it the old way which did not work either. And they should not be tech's if they can't follow a simple set of instructions, see below.
Cheers

NUMBER: 08-040-04
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: December 9, 2004

THE DRBIII® FLASH FILES FOR THIS BULLETIN ARE AVAILABLE ON DealerCONNECT.
FOR MARKETS OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA, THE FLASH FILES AND REPROGRAMMING INSTRUCTIONS WILL BE AVAILABLE ON ITIL/ISIS DVD FEBRUARY, 2005.
SUBJECT:
Flash: Driver And Passenger Power Door Lock Switches Inoperative And Opening the Liftgate Triggers The Theft Alarm
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Body Control Module (BCM) with new software.
MODELS:
2004 - 2005 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)
2004 - 2005 (RS) Town & Country/Caravan
NOTE: This bulletin applies to 2005 vehicles equipped with Power Locks only (sales code JPB) and 2004 - 2005 vehicles equipped with Power Locks, Power Liftgate, and Security Alarm (sales codes JPB, JRC and LSA respectively).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The vehicle operator may describe:
· The alarm sounds erroneously when opening the power liftgate using the key fob while the Vehicle Theft Alarm (VTA) is armed.
· The driver's and/or passenger's door lock switches are inoperative.
The technician may find "Left Unlock Output Failure" and/or "Right Unlock Output Failure " Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) in the BCM.
NUMBER: 08-040-04
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: December 9, 2004

DIAGNOSIS:
1. Using a Scan Tool (DRBIII®) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures Manual, verify all systems are functioning as designed. If DTCs are present, other than those listed above, record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.
2. With the ignition switch in the "RUN" position, determine the original part number of the BCM currently in the vehicle. Using the DRBIII® select:
a. "DRBIII® Standalone"
b. "1998 - 2005 Diagnostics"
c. "All (Except Below)"
d. "Body Interior"
e. "Body Computer"
f. "Module Display"
g. Record the "Software part #" on the repair order for later reference.
h. Check DTC's
3. If the vehicle operator describes or experiences the Symptom/Condition, use the following table to determine the appropriate action.
Year Model BCM Software P/N Action Required
2004 RG/RS 04836966AG or earlier Perform Repair Procedure
2005 RG 04840935AC or earlier or 04843198AA Perform Repair Procedure
2005 RS 04839664AE or earlier or 04841954AA Perform Repair Procedure
2004 RG/RS 04844016AA or higher Further diagnosis is necessary. This bulletin does not apply
2005 RG 04843198AB or higher
2005 RS 04844017AA or higher or
04841954AB or higher or
04843752AA or higher
SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
NPN Battery Charger
CH2002 General Purpose Interface Bus Cable Assembly
CH6000A Scan Tool (DRBIII®)
CH7000A/7001A J1962 Cable with red DRBIII® connector
TechCONNECT Workstation
NOTE: An updated J1962 cable has been released. This cable has a red colored connector at the DRBIII® connection. Use this cable whenever a flash is being performed.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
NOTE: Whenever a controller is programmed, the software in the DRBIII®; must be programmed with the latest revision level available.
08-040-04 -2-
NOTE: If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash should be restarted and then follow the directions on the DRBIII®.
1. Before beginning the reprogramming procedure, remove any old flash reprogramming files from the DRBIII® memory. To clear the memory from the MAIN MENU:
a. Simultaneously press the "MORE" and "YES" keys.
b. A screen will appear requesting a "COLD BOOT".
c. Follow the on screen instructions by selecting the "F4" key.
d. When the DRBIII® reboots to the MAIN MENU, proceed to Step #2
2. Connect the DRBIII® to TechCONNECT. Open TechTOOLS and verify that the "DRBIII® Status: Connected" message is in the upper right corner of the TechTOOLS screen.
3. Enter the "Software part #" recorded during "Diagnosis" in the "Parts Criteria" area and select "Show Updates". TechTOOLS will populate the available updates.
4. Select the calibration.
5. Select the "DRBIII" radio button which is next to the "Download/Update" button.
6. Select the "Download/Update" button.
7. Monitor the "Flash Download/Update Progress" window on the TechCONNECT and follow the instructions on TechCONNECT. When the flash process is complete, proceed to Step #8.
8. Disconnect the DRBIII® from TechCONNECT.
9. Open the hood, install a battery charger and verify that the charging rate provides approximately 13.5 volts.
10. Connect the DRBIII® to the vehicle.
11. Turn the ignition to the "Run" position (engine not running).
12. Download the flash from the DRBIII® to the vehicle. Using the DRBIII® select:
a. "Vehicle Flash"
b. Follow the directions on the DRBIII® screen.
13. Verify that the problem cannot be repeated by cycling the ignition switch OFF/ON and actuating both door lock switches a few times. If any door lock failure still persists then further diagnosis is necessary. Verify the BCM "Software p/n" was updated to the new software p/n using Diagnosis Step #2.
NOTE: Due to the BCM programming procedure, a DTC may be set in other modules (TCM, PCM, MIC, SKIM, etc.) within the vehicle, if so equipped. Some DTC's may cause the MIL to illuminate. Check all modules using "Module Scan", record the DTC's, and erase these DTC's prior to returning the vehicle to the customer. Erase any DTC's in the PCM only after all other modules have had their DTC's erased.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:02 AM

"Left Unlock Output Failure" and/or "Right Unlock Output Failure" in the BCM
- common - and usually 100% the start of all of the rest of the issues that result
- the bulletin does not apply to the 2005 RG 04843198AB or higher listed in here

Old 07-31-2015, 03:56 AM

Another update, I phoned Pms Chrysler in Haverfordwest. The head technician told me he was not surprised that Lookers in Cardiff couldn't do it as they were a new dealer and prob didn't have the exp to do it.

He explained that there is a specific update tool needed to do the job and there was only one in this country that all dealers have to share.

He duly acquired the tool, I took the car in yesterday. A half hour job lasted over 2 hours, then he gave up. Blaming the tool being at fault, said he couldn't do the job. No charge.

So what next?

I can only think of 2 possible things to try, can you think of any more?

I thought of buying a new body control module, well, brand new second hand lol. If it had been updated before being removed from the car, could I then fit it into my car?

Secondly, a mod. Atm everytime it fails, we have to open bonnet, open fuse box, remove IOD fuse, then 2 minutes later put fuse back in, yay, its reset and works for anything from 1 hour to 1 week. To make this easier, I thought maybe I could cut the wire going to the IOD fuse, run it to the glove box, fit a switch, then run it back to the fusebox and fit it back to the IOD fuse. This wouldn't cure the problem, but would be easier for resetting it.

Any ideas or help appreciated.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:30 AM
Default Still no joy

So, I had a mod fitted. Instead of having to open the bonnet, and remove the IOD fuse everytime the central locking failed, now all I have to do is flick a switch by the steering wheel, give it 2 mins then flick it back on. So much easier.

Only thing now is that the problem seems to be getting worse. It's happening much more frequently.

I've spoken to Chrysler UK, who say it's up to the local dealer. The local dealer refuses to ring me back now!!!

Does anyone know of an Independent Chrysler workshop that might be able to update the BCM, in South, or South West Wales?

Cheers

Old 11-23-2017, 11:20 AM
Default Any success with central locking

Having the same problem with our 2004 voyager, has anyone in the UK managed to get this successfully sorted out?