Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake and ABS Warning Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 06:17 AM

MJSPROPERTIES [Scotland] is property is connected to Forth Carz Limited [Scotland] is connected to at least another 14 companies 5 of which are auto related. One of these companies - MMV Performance Limited in Stirling is a parts seller.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:49 AM

The amount of knowledge on this forum never ceases to amaze me.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:14 PM

Must be the weather.... as my ABS now playing up.

Wife said brakes making funny noise at weekend so I figured was time to take off my nice newly refurbed wheels and get my long suffering mechanic friend and neighbour to replace front discs and pads - as we knew they were low and was always on the plan since buying.

Now it appears problem was not very worn discs and brakes as the ABS light and TRAC control off are lighting up... accompanied by a very strange "Graunching" noise from near side front.

Upon engine off and key out, system re-sets and horrid graunching noise occurs - which transmits through pedal - only on gentle braking.

Once above 25mph-ish ABS light comes on and "TRAC control off" lights up and "Graunching" noise diminishes considerably.

Also noticed that on pumping brakes a sort of "bellows" sound audible seemingly from under centre/left of dash.

Brake pedal also seems to fade away.... travel slowly towards floor, after being pumped.

Havent changed rear brakes yet and wondered if this might affect trac control/ABS as they are diagonally linked or if it was more likely to be a faulty front ABS sensor ?

Am sure have also read somewhere that there maybe an internal seal failure of master cylinder as this can have same effect as there is def no visible leaks anywhere.

Im thinking ABS sensor replacement (or maybe try cleaning TONE ring) should be first port of call ?

Old 02-24-2015, 03:23 PM

Sounds like you've got two problems, brake master cylinder and ABS sensor. As for ABS sensor renewal find my thread on renewing them or someone will point you. As too master cylinder, pedal going to floor, no leaks, try secondhand or motorfactors.
Saying that the sound from front end might be brake pad rubbing on unworn part of disc.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:10 AM
Default Update

Replaced rear pads last night and as expected no change.

Waiting for ABS sensors to turn up, thanks for that link Goggs.

Still worried about the sound of bellows audible near side inside passenger cabin when depressing brake pedal... Not sure if it was doing it before ?

When pump the brakes, pedal firms up but then very very gradually faded away and pedal travels to floor. Is this normal or is this an indicator of the internal seal failure of the master cylinder problem ?

Old 02-25-2015, 03:17 PM

Sounds like master cylinder.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:52 AM
Default One problem down

Thanks for link to sensors Goggs.

Brake light also started coming on with ABS light few times last few days... Fluid in reservoir was good.

Changed near side front sensor at weekend (side that seemed to having the problem). No change.

Changed off side front last night - and all good... No more grinding/pulsing/ABS light/Trac off warnings !

Both tone rings were severely corroded and took some cleaning (fun job that) and on both sides the bolt holding the ABS sensors sheared off (without applying much force) so a small tap and helicoil on each side were needed, turning an easy job into a sweary fiddly job.

Kudos to my very patient friend/neighbour/mechanic !

Sway bar links and bushes up next !

Old 03-03-2015, 02:29 PM

Your doing great keep up the interest...