Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Brighten up your GV for less than a tenner.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 07:06 AM
Default Brighten up your GV for less than a tenner.

This small lighting addition to the GV's front makes your motor more modern and more visible at the same time. The pictures and circuit diagram are simple and clear, electronic parts should be available at Maplins, Radiospares, or A.C. Farnell. The two "Ring" white 24LED lamps were from Halfords, the little galvanized brackets and self-tapping sundries from any hardware store.

At first I tried 9LED lamps, but they were too dim for daylight use, 24LED is essential really. Also a simple 1A. 20mm. fuse plus holder is inserted into the lead to the RH. cigar socket. These little fuseholders fit nicely into a small terminal strip. The current draw is tiny, less than 100mA.

The circuit uses two 24LED lamps in series at 4.5volt. each making a total 9volt required for the two in series. You'll need to solder some wires onto the battery-holder terminals, and bring them out to a small 2-way terminal block (for convenience of fitting). You'll also need to ensure water doesn't get inside the lamps, I used some black carpet tape which is very sticky indeed. Some Dow-Corning silicon seal can also be used to keep water out of the holes where the lead comes out. The lamps have a press-switch which will need to be "on" and covered with tape too. Make sure you don't switch it off while taping! As the vehicle battery averages 14volt. you need to "lose" 5volt somehow, so the 5v1 zenerdiode does the trick nicely. You could use a 9volt common regulator alternatively, (7809) the legs will fit into a small terminal block conveniently. Take care over POLARITY of all wiring.

The lamps themselves are mounted under the plastic front bumper with two little galvanized common brackets. As the bumper is plastic, only tighten the self-tapping screws moderately into the holes you have drilled in the bumper underside. One of the little screws on the lamp's battery cover is used as the other mounting to the galvanized bracket. Get the lamps mounted as near the edge of the bumper as reasonably possible, and far enough back so passers-by don't kick them.

As the new driving LED lights are wired to the RH cigar lighter socket, you can pull out the plug should you get any grief from an MOT inspector. This socket will automatically illuminate the new LED driving lights as soon as you turn on the ignition switch.

Parts:
2off. Halford's 24LED white lamps using 3 AA cells. AT £4:00 each.
1off. 5v1 zenerdide (or 9volt regulator 7809) say, 50p.
1off smallest terminal strip, 2off small terminal 2-way blocks for lamps connexion.

Leedsman.

Attached Thumbnails Brighten up your GV for less than a tenner.-gv104-003.jpg   Brighten up your GV for less than a tenner.-gv104-004.jpg   Brighten up your GV for less than a tenner.-gv104-002.jpg  
Old 04-16-2015, 09:03 AM

Great idea Leedsman but the LED lamps look vulnerable to being knocked off against kerbs. What's the ground clearance like at the lamp height?

Old 04-16-2015, 09:22 AM

Well I've been driving with them on for a month or so now, no probs. yet. There were other things lower I noticed while fitting them. Let you know if it becomes a prob. Maybe not suitable for rough terrain?

Leedsman.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Leedsman
Maybe not suitable for rough terrain?

Leedsman.
The only rough terrain I drive on these days is the badly maintained 'A' roads around these parts

Old 04-16-2015, 01:11 PM

Include Leeds in these type of parts. I never know whether the undulations are bad roads or unnecessary/pointless speedbumps. But that's another story...

Leedsman.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:38 PM

Yes tricky height that. My bumper just clears some car park kerbs, some times it scrapes over...Not keen on these gay eyebrow lights. What's next false eyelashes, oops seen that somewhere on a girly car...

Old 04-16-2015, 01:59 PM

I like it
I put this idea on my bucket list.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Leedsman
This small lighting addition to the GV's front makes your motor more modern and more visible at the same time. The pictures and circuit diagram are simple and clear, electronic parts should be available at Maplins, Radiospares, or A.C. Farnell. The two "Ring" white 24LED lamps were from Halfords, the little galvanized brackets and self-tapping sundries from any hardware store.

At first I tried 9LED lamps, but they were too dim for daylight use, 24LED is essential really. Also a simple 1A. 20mm. fuse plus holder is inserted into the lead to the RH. cigar socket. These little fuseholders fit nicely into a small terminal strip. The current draw is tiny, less than 100mA.

The circuit uses two 24LED lamps in series at 4.5volt. each making a total 9volt required for the two in series. You'll need to solder some wires onto the battery-holder terminals, and bring them out to a small 2-way terminal block (for convenience of fitting). You'll also need to ensure water doesn't get inside the lamps, I used some black carpet tape which is very sticky indeed. Some Dow-Corning silicon seal can also be used to keep water out of the holes where the lead comes out. The lamps have a press-switch which will need to be "on" and covered with tape too. Make sure you don't switch it off while taping! As the vehicle battery averages 14volt. you need to "lose" 5volt somehow, so the 5v1 zenerdiode does the trick nicely. You could use a 9volt common regulator alternatively, (7809) the legs will fit into a small terminal block conveniently. Take care over POLARITY of all wiring.

The lamps themselves are mounted under the plastic front bumper with two little galvanized common brackets. As the bumper is plastic, only tighten the self-tapping screws moderately into the holes you have drilled in the bumper underside. One of the little screws on the lamp's battery cover is used as the other mounting to the galvanized bracket. Get the lamps mounted as near the edge of the bumper as reasonably possible, and far enough back so passers-by don't kick them.

As the new driving LED lights are wired to the RH cigar lighter socket, you can pull out the plug should you get any grief from an MOT inspector. This socket will automatically illuminate the new LED driving lights as soon as you turn on the ignition switch.

Parts:
2off. Halford's 24LED white lamps using 3 AA cells. AT £4:00 each.
1off. 5v1 zenerdide (or 9volt regulator 7809) say, 50p.
1off smallest terminal strip, 2off small terminal 2-way blocks for lamps connexion.

Leedsman.
I like it a lot. If you don't mind could you give a much simpler how to for us who are useless at this sort of thing. I ptefer the L shaped ones, does it make a difference

Last edited by darkcild101; 04-16-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:13 PM

- there's a Y/N setting in the software for DRL's
- I assume its sends an ON code for the body puter
- nice on Leedsman

Old 04-17-2015, 03:23 PM

Is there a problem on using the Fog lights instead, for-by you shouldn't us them unless in falling snow and fog..

Quick Reply: Brighten up your GV for less than a tenner.