Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Default Buying advice

Hi all,

my better half is looking at an mpv and is taken with the voyager and grand voyager. Having never owned a Chrysler, any advice on what to look for and what sort of general maintenance is recommended.

Looking at a 2003 - 2006 models.

Thank you for any help and advice

Old 01-05-2014, 01:38 PM
Default Finding good Voyager.

If you don't know much about cars and have no one to check it out go to a dealer and get one with new MOT so you can depend on not getting what I'm going to say below.
Starting from outside make sure there's good tread on tyres as there around £100 a piece.
Too many scratches or dents don't look good.
I've only ever seen one with rust and it was on the bonnet but found more bad stuff underneath. So Check for rust and if you find any bad bits walk as there's plenty more cars out there.
Check there's no oil or coolant leaks.
Does exhaust system sound ok without blows. Likely £100's for replacement.
Sit in and start engine and check there's no fault lights on dash. Play with windows, electric doors, electric seat, wipers front and rear, heater blower and make sure they work.
Test run should find no rattles from beneath or dreaded engine cut out which is common place on here.
If something doesn't sound right walk.
Its of course got to be a CRD Diesel for fuel economy, expect around 34mpg. Look for LTD model with toys if possible and rear seats into floor one.
There's quite a few from dealers on Flee-bay 2003 era £1200-£1500 with no issues.
Good Luck..

Old 01-05-2014, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
If you don't know much about cars and have no one to check it out go to a dealer and get one with new MOT so you can depend on not getting what I'm going to say below.
Starting from outside make sure there's good tread on tyres as there around £100 a piece.
Too many scratches or dents don't look good.
I've only ever seen one with rust and it was on the bonnet but found more bad stuff underneath. So Check for rust and if you find any bad bits walk as there's plenty more cars out there.
Check there's no oil or coolant leaks.
Does exhaust system sound ok without blows. Likely £100's for replacement.
Sit in and start engine and check there's no fault lights on dash. Play with windows, electric doors, electric seat, wipers front and rear, heater blower and make sure they work.
Test run should find no rattles from beneath or dreaded engine cut out which is common place on here.
If something doesn't sound right walk.
Its of course got to be a CRD Diesel for fuel economy, expect around 34mpg. Look for LTD model with toys if possible and rear seats into floor one.
There's quite a few from dealers on Flee-bay 2003 era £1200-£1500 with no issues.
Good Luck..
Thank you for your advice, much appreciated. I know the basics about cars etc, but never owning a Chrysler, was checking to see if there were any specific faults to look for etc.
I own an Omega and have done for a few years and these have standard faults that could be costly if not known about!
Does the Voyager need cambelt changes or is it chain driven? Are they easy to do basic servicing, ie oil, coolant, are glo plugs an issue?

Thank you again

Old 01-06-2014, 03:50 AM
tfb

Cambelt should be done at 80K (I think), if it's a diesel you are looking at then make sure that the engine gets up to temperature (gauge should be at the mid point) as the thermostats have a habit of jamming open and are a pain to change. Check for cutting out under full acceleration as the fuel filter housing sometimes lets in air.

If you can, go for a stow and go model where the back seats fold into the floor - it's a brilliant idea and if you ever have to remove the rear seat on a non stow and go model you'll realise how heavy they are!

Other than that, goggs advice is sound and check that all the toys work - you can live with a few non working toys but they make a good bargaining point.

Regards
Richard

Old 01-06-2014, 04:06 AM

The first thing to decide about buying a GV is to realize it's built for shifting people or furniture, and its design for this is excellent. It's not going to handle like a Jag., and it won't have the fuel consumption of, say, a diesel Megane. The diesels do 34mpgUK in summer, 30mpgUK in winter. If your intended is a petrol, it'll be hard to get shot of when you come to sell it, unless it's been gas/LPG converted. The 2.8 Motori diesel is understressed and is the same as in Jeeps and London black-cabs, making 150horse. Cambelts should be changed around 85,000mile.The beast weighs over two tonsUK, but is easy to drive and comfortable with it. Women can drive these easily and seem to like them. The "high-ride" is 1st. class for long distance motoring.

RELIABILITY:

Hand on heart, I wouldn't say GVs are better or worse than any other mid-cost motor. Even BMWs or Japanese have their foibles. Parts for GVs are expensive, and frankly, there is no reason for this but profiteering. This website helps a lot in this respect.
Battery problems (so-called) are rife, but read my postings on this one, esp. "Of interest to those getting flat batteries". Check the antifreeze has been replaced before 5years, or expensive replacement of radiator (corroded aluminium which won't flush) and jammed open thermostat will result. Use HOAT antifreeze.
The electronic control system with several microprocessor boards can give trouble, but often they can be fixed simply by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, giving the hard reset to all. Make sure you have the radio-code before buying. Many major manufacturers have had similar micro troubles, the GV is not unusual here.

Finally, treat your purchase of GV same as any other motor -- there are beat-up old wrecks out there, and there are the "old-boy" motors that look like they never left the factory. You need to examine carefully the actual motor in front of you.
And then there is the money...

Leedsman.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:31 AM

Thank you all very much guys.

The wife has started her own business as a Childminder and wanted more practical space than her current Zafira offers.
She really likes the look of the voyager, but wanted to do some homework first before buying one as we don't have many pennies!

At least now I'm better prepared when we go looking at one.

Thank you all again for your time and advice, it is much appreciated!!