Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a/c doesn't blow cold

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Default a/c doesn't blow cold

Hey everyone,

I've got an a/c problem that I'd like some advice on. I am working on a coworkers 96 T&C w/ aux A/C. I evacuated her a/c with a vacuum pump and then charged it with the required 48oz of freon and oil. Typically, what I've seen when I do this is that as you begin to add freon, it gets colder with each can. On hers, it never got colder. After 4 cans of freon, it's no colder than before. I removed the glove box and behind it sits a rectangular panel that you can remove to access the evap. It's not cold. Heck, it's not even cool. It's ambient temp.

The strange thing is that if you feel the output tube from the compressor, it's hot. That leads me to believe that the compressor is compressing. Why am I not getting cold air? The aux doesn't work either?

Pressures appear to be fine.
Compressor clutch engages correctly.

Does anyone have any direction on this problem? I look forward to your thoughts/ideas.

Mark

Old 04-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

H block clogged or not working what are the high and low side pressures?

Old 04-28-2010, 08:33 AM

ChryslerTech,

Forgive my ignorance on this issue, but when you refer to the H block, are you referring to the expansion valve device that is mounted near the firewall? The reason that I ask that if my memory serves me correctly, the vapor tube headed to the aux a/x branches off before that device. If thats the case, wouldn't the aux unit work and the front unit not work? In my case, neither a/c appears to be working.

As far as the pressures, I don't have them right in front of me. I took those readings last week and I left my gauges at the house this morning, but as I recall, they were in line with readings that ALLDATA recommended for the ambient temp. I can hook them back up and get those readings for you, but it wouldn't be until tomorrow.

Let me know about the H block device and I'll get those readings to you as soon as I can.

Mark

Old 04-28-2010, 01:46 PM

Just thought I'd give an update. I found an A/C & heater test on AllData. I ran it during lunch and suprise, suprise, it failed. Unfortunately, the test doesn't really give you any useful information other than the fact that it failed. It would be nice to provide you with useful information to help narrow down the search.

Now, because it failed, there are two blinking lights on the A/C unit. Those lights will not go off until you fix the problem. So now, I'm just trying to figure out why I can't get any cold air. I'm looking forward to getting this car fixed and out of my hair.

Mark