Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Car Cameras - Dash Cams

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Default Car Cameras - Dash Cams

I've been using various forms of in-car cameras for quite a few years now, and although I've not yet captured any footage that I could sell to the press or give to my insurance company to support a claim, I have recorded some very close shaves, some ludicrous driving and quite a few amusing incidents. Some of the cameras I have used have been of dreadful quality and some have been acceptable quality but temperamental in use, but the one I've been using for the last 2 or 3 years is quite remarkable insofar as the camera cost me £25.00, including shipping from China, it's tiny and therefore very discreet, and the picture quality is amazing, especially when you consider the size and the price.

All these cameras use a micro or standard SD card and most will take up to a 32 Gb card which will give up to 10 hours of video and audio recording. Recording can be set to continuous record so that when the SD card becomes full the camera will overwrite the oldest files on the card.

The little camera I'm currently using is known as the '808 #16 keychain camera' and looks for all the world like a car remote key fob. The only downside to this camera is that because it's not specifically designed as a Dash-Cam, it doesn't start recording when the ignition is switched on like most dedicated Dash-Cams do.

For anybody who wants to find out more about these cameras there is a gentleman who goes under the name of 'techmoan' who has made some very informative reviews on some of the dash-cams which are available: Car Cameras - YouTube

A couple of examples filmed with my little 808 #16 keychain camera:
Example #1

Example #2

Example #3
This is a comparison between the 808 #16 and the F900 which claimed to be 1080p HD and cost almost double the price of the 808 #16

Here is a short tutorial on how I mounted the 808 #16 inside my Voyager

Have fun

Alan

Last edited by AlanC; 02-02-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:43 PM

I'm sure everyone will be amazed at quality and price of this micro camera which in todays world is becoming a necessity.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:12 PM

I'm sure everyone will be amazed at quality and price of this micro camera which in todays world is becoming a necessity.
Goggs, I couldn't have put it better myself.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:15 PM

WOW, such a dinky little camera that provides obviously incredibly clear pictures. Worth looking into for sure.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:56 AM

I recently upgraded my dash cam to a 1080p HD Mobius unit. Absolutely fantastic quality for only £41.26 including delivery from China. Mobius ActionCam Full HD Sports Camera 1080P 30FPS 720P 60FPS Pocket Camcorder | eBay
This one also has a wide angle lens, loop record and auto record when the ignition is nswitched on.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:24 PM

How about a Video so we can see quality of picture.

Thanks.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:21 AM

Uploading to YouTube will not display the cameras full potential, even if you playback in 1080p so here's a screen grab to be going on with.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c7...f.jpg~original

Old 04-13-2014, 06:29 AM

You should be able to view or even download this example I've uploaded to Google Drive. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwl...it?usp=sharing
Select 1080p and full screen for the best quality.

Last edited by AlanC; 04-13-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:05 PM

Well its quite amazing what that little camera can give out. Looking at that one in my hand and a bigger more expensive one in the other hand I would be inclined to go for bigger one expecting to get a better picture.....Until you seen the footage of the smaller one that is......The moral to this is....Bigger expensive isn't better.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:32 AM

You have to remember that these little cameras don't have built-in screens so footage has to be reviewed on a PC, TV or Smart phone. This particular camera, like most dash-cams, is made in China but it's not a cheap copy, it's a high quality product and also used by hobbyists in radio controlled planes and vehicles. Check out http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904559

Last edited by AlanC; 04-14-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Car Cameras - Dash Cams