Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

car goes into limp mode whilst driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Default car goes into limp mode whilst driving

Hi, I have a 2002 chrysler grand voyager 2.5crd
The problem i have is the car drives along fine , then goes into limp mode without warning , this can happen at 10 , 20 ,70,or 80 miles an hour, uphill downhill or along the straight, when this happens the car still runs fine but at only 1100rpm, it might happen after a mile or ten miles , it happens in town or on a run, if i pull over and turn the engine off, i can usually start it straight away and carry on until it happens again, it doesnt matter if the car is hot or cold ,wet weather ,dry weather etc etc ...
I have turned the key on and off three times and got the code p1130 ,i have googled the code and the problem and have read its a fuel rail line problem ,but nobody seems to have a definitive answer for the problem.
When i have this problem the car does NOT cut out but carries on running so i am inclined to think this not an injector,pump,filter problem as these would either stop the car running or make it run erratically , so i am thinking a sensor problem somewhere,
Does anyone have experience of this problem or know where to start please, i CANNOT afford to just put it in the garage ,and have them change injectors etc and not alleviate the problem...... i have rung a chrysler garage and an auto / marine diesel garage and both want 65 pound an hour to run diagnostics and check over it ,but both said it sounds like pressure so injectors or pump but then how would it still run nicely although only 1100rpm and why only intermittently not all the time..........................
Sorry for the long post but hope i have given all info , so someone might recognize the problem..............cheers mac

Old 10-13-2012, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by mac1
Hi, I have a 2002 Chrysler grand voyager 2.5crd
The problem i have is the car drives along fine , then goes into limp mode without warning , this can happen at 10 , 20 ,70,or 80 miles an hour, uphill downhill or along the straight, when this happens the car still runs fine but at only 1100rpm, it might happen after a mile or ten miles , it happens in town or on a run, if i pull over and turn the engine off, i can usually start it straight away and carry on until it happens again, it doesn't matter if the car is hot or cold ,wet weather ,dry weather etc etc ...
I have turned the key on and off three times and got the code p1130 ,i have googled the code and the problem and have read its a fuel rail line problem ,but nobody seems to have a definitive answer for the problem.
When i have this problem the car does NOT cut out but carries on running so i am inclined to think this not an injector,pump,filter problem as these would either stop the car running or make it run erratically , so i am thinking a sensor problem somewhere,
Does anyone have experience of this problem or know where to start please, i CANNOT afford to just put it in the garage ,and have them change injectors etc and not alleviate the problem...... i have rung a Chrysler garage and an auto / marine diesel garage and both want 65 pound an hour to run diagnostics and check over it ,but both said it sounds like pressure so injectors or pump but then how would it still run nicely although only 1100rpm and why only intermittently not all the time..........................
Sorry for the long post but hope i have given all info , so someone might recognize the problem..............cheers mac
BUMP for a free~for~all - someone on here must have an opinion especially the techies, open to all opinions - go on have a go. I've read of this 'going into limp mode' all over the interwibble and no one has ever offered an effective answer. Can I assume it doesn't happen in America because you are almost 100% petrol ?

Old 10-13-2012, 07:23 PM

Bump a less than 1 day old thread?

Not a tech, not a transmission guru but a forums junkey for 8 years and DIYer for 35.

Your P1130 is unheard of here in the states because diesel Chrysler Corp minivans don't exist. Seems unrelated to your transmission problems. Until you have engine driveability problems ignore it.

"limp mode" is very common here. It's your transmission saving itself from further damage by limiting gears and speed. Much easier to troubleshoot when a code is present. Damned near impossible when there isn't as in your case. If you at least had a P0700 code I could tell you to head to a shop that has a scanner capable of reading transmission codes (not a standard scanner). The 700 code says your transmission computer (TCM) has detected a fault and stored a code. What to do.

Make sure your fluid level is good and if you haven't changed the tranny fluid and filter recently, consider it. You'll have to drop the fluid pan and while there you can check for metal debris. If there it's time for a rebuild or replacement. You could try resetting the fault by disconnecting the negative battery cable for 5 minutes. You can disconnect sensor and module connections and inspect for damage or corrosion. That would be the output speed sensor, the input turbine speed sensor, the TRS sensor, the solenoid pack and the TCM. All are on th front of the transmission. The TCM is mounted in the drivers wheel well forward behind the splash shield. Many automatically change the input and output sensors. Most of the time that move is a waste of money but admittedly it does work sometimes.

This should have been my first sentence. Anything I know is based on US spec vans. Euro spec vans are beyond me. Hopefully they are similar in respect to transmissions. The 4 speed transmissions here are the 41TE. Is that what you have?

Any symptoms besides it jumping to limp mode? Erratic instruments? Sluggish or slipping gears? Other electrical problems?

Last edited by Raptor 07; 10-13-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Raptor 07
Bump a less than 1 day old thread?

Not a tech, not a transmission guru but a forums junkey for 8 years and DIYer for 35.

Your P1130 is unheard of here in the states because diesel Chrysler Corp minivans don't exist. Seems unrelated to your transmission problems. Until you have engine driveability problems ignore it.

"limp mode" is very common here. It's your transmission saving itself from further damage by limiting gears and speed. Much easier to troubleshoot when a code is present. Damned near impossible when there isn't as in your case. If you at least had a P0700 code I could tell you to head to a shop that has a scanner capable of reading transmission codes (not a standard scanner). The 700 code says your transmission computer (TCM) has detected a fault and stored a code. What to do.

Make sure your fluid level is good and if you haven't changed the tranny fluid and filter recently, consider it. You'll have to drop the fluid pan and while there you can check for metal debris. If there it's time for a rebuild or replacement. You could try resetting the fault by disconnecting the negative battery cable for 5 minutes. You can disconnect sensor and module connections and inspect for damage or corrosion. That would be the output speed sensor, the input turbine speed sensor, the TRS sensor, the solenoid pack and the TCM. All are on the front of the transmission. The TCM is mounted in the drivers wheel well forward behind the splash shield. Many automatically change the input and output sensors. Most of the time that move is a waste of money but admittedly it does work sometimes.

This should have been my first sentence. Anything I know is based on US spec vans. Euro spec vans are beyond me. Hopefully they are similar in respect to transmissions. The 4 speed transmissions here are the 41TE. Is that what you have?

Any symptoms besides it jumping to limp mode? Erratic instruments? Sluggish or slipping gears? Other electrical problems?
- no signs & symptoms whatsoever
- the gearbox & associated everything appears to be / is ok
- switch off and back on [reset] and it drives perfectly normal / or not
- don't switch off and back on [reset] and it will drive forever in limp mode

What I'm attempting to describe is its not a 'diesel v petrol' issue. Its not a gearbox 'trigger' .. .. the gearbox protection [limp mode] is the outcome not the cause. Many people describe it as a 'winter' problem, as in, it doesn't happen in the warm summer period at all. It seems to me to be a wiring / dry joint / dirty joint / loom / plug / electrical contact problem in the computer BUS. A momentary disconnect loses communication and you are in limp mode, switch off and on again and everything functions normally for weeks or months until you get your next voltage or comms problem.

It does manifest just like an intermittent 'accelerator position sensor' fault but the 5v supply is good and remains above 1.6% or below 16.0% this is with a ' live test' so although the ECM can be thrown into limp mode @ a fixed engine speed of 1100 RPM it appears not to be the culprit in this case - - yet if you search the millions of words in the official dealer Chrysler Corp Workshop manuals this is the only specific reference where the two words (1) limp and (2) 1100 rpm appear together.

P2120-ACC PEDAL POSITION SENSOR - POSSIBLE CAUSES

APP SENSOR IDLE VOLTAGE
APP SENSOR WIDE OPEN THROTTLE VOLTAGE
ECM - 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT
LOW IDLE POSITION SWITCH SENSE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
SENSOR GROUND OPEN (APP SENSOR)
SENSOR GROUND OPEN (IDLE SWITCH)
INTERMITTENT CONDITION
5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN
APP SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
LOW IDLE POSITION SWITCH SENSE CIRCUIT OPEN
5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO THE SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT
VERIFY LOW IDLE POSITION SWITCH OPERATION
APP SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
VERIFY APP SENSOR OPERATION
APP SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO THE SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT
LOW IDLE POSITION SWITCH SENSE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO THE SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT
5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
ECM - SENSOR GROUND OPEN
APP SENSOR CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
LOW IDLE POSITION SWITCH SENSE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
VERIFY CORRECT SWITCHING
ECM - APP SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT

NOTE: Mine is 2.8 auto / 2005 not the same as the O/P's 2.5 / 2002

Old 01-11-2013, 12:58 PM

This turned out to be the throttle/accelerator position sensor , The part cost £132 and is the whole throttle pedal and a sensor , takes less than 5 minutes to change,....cheers for the replies............ hope this might help someone with a similar problem.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:35 AM

2.5 CRD has a manual gearbox.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:37 AM

Thanks for the information MAC1.
What mileage?

Old 01-12-2013, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by joker2cv
2.5 CRD has a manual gearbox.
- agreed
- see the last line of #4