Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Car stalling after battery change

Old 08-20-2014, 03:26 PM

Think he means the Bonnet switch.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:53 PM

As you look at the underbonnet/hood area, the security switch is on the R.H. side in the rain drain part of the wing/fender. The bonnet itself pushes down the plunger to disable when you shut it. I use a Mole-wrench on its softest setting to hold it down, being careful not to break anything.
Then you can remove the IOD fuse for a few minutes for reset purposes without the alarm going off. On my GV., the IOD fuse does not lose the radio-code, only the station you left it on. That fuse is marked on the black plastic basis of the fuseboard.

Leedsman.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:49 PM

Thanks guys. Will attempt this at weekend

Could the electric doors cause this problem? One works sometimes and the other one just unclips and doesnt open. I am now worried I bought a lemon though seller was honest from beginning, I just thought ig woild be easy for me to diagnose

it has an after market Sony screen on roof and methinks thats a possible suspect as the bloody thingnisnt working. If its that what fuse would show a high draw for that. Though I mow make sure to turn the ignition and turn key to rightmpoint before pulling it out, the radio stays on and I have to manually switch it off

Last edited by darkcild101; 08-20-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:09 AM

With any second-hand car, there are going to be some things to sort out. The main factor is "how much will it cost"?
Most people get shot of a car when the not-done routine servicing has piled up to become an expensive monster. One of the best kinds to buy is the "old-boy" car as it's usually been religiously kept in good order along with his garden. Only trouble is, such cars are mostly way out of date...Of course if you just want reliable transport, not a problem.

Leedsman.
n.b. Even brand spanking new cars can be trouble BTW.

Last edited by Leedsman; 08-21-2014 at 06:12 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:33 PM

You clearly have a problem with your BCM, pulling the IOD fuse will shut down :

Remote key fob
Radio <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< always a drain and sometimes a parasitic culprit
Heater blower
Folding mirrors
Central locks
Interior lights when the key is in the ignition
Power seat

1st crude test - (1) what is the draw before you pull the IOD fuse, - (2) what is the draw after you pull the IOD fuse, it should come down at least a third !

2nd crude test put everything back the way it was and then pull the 20A fuse marked in red called RDO/IP before you park up for the night. Next morning put the RDO/IP back in does it start up ok ?

Name:  cx2FBKc.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  547.0 KB

Old 08-21-2014, 01:21 PM

What does IOD fuse control?

Old 08-21-2014, 02:37 PM

Regarding the doors, have you checked the rolling chain encased door loom that you can see when door open. There's an issue on known wiring breakage in this loom. Would like to see myself where wires normally break.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:13 PM

IOD stands for 'Ignition-Off Draw'

A vehicle that is constantly drained of battery every morning, including in this case a brand new battery has to have that power drawn by something that is happening when the IGN is in the OFF position. I thought from the O/P's earlier post it was because he was not taking the key out properly leaving it in ACC the position - now he has cured that user error it suggests the next culprit is :

electrical items left 'permanent' on.
• faulty or improperly adjusted switches.
• faulty or shorted electronic modules and components.
• An internally shorted generator.
• Intermittent shorts in the wiring

The 1st item is something the O/P can look at himself, for example that aftermarket roof mounted video setup etc. Ordinarily these eurovans need 0.015 to 0.025 milliamperes even when switched off [IOD position] to maintain the memory for the powertrain control module [PCM], digital clock, electronically tuned radio, and other bits and pieces depending on the spec. If his car is pulling more than 25 milliamps 20 minutes after its switched off that can drain the battery overnight. Like your own issue with that stray wire to the headlight some nuggett may have plumbed in a wire to the IPM on a permanent live to that overhead video unit or elsewhere that is also live and switched on permanent and no one knows about it - its a process of elimination.

The body control module provides the following features:
• Power Door Locks
• Automatic Door Lock
• Door Lock Inhibit
• Central Locking (with VTSS Only)
• Battery Protection
• The BCM will automatically turn off all exterior lamps after 3 minutes and all interior lamps after 15 minutes after the ignition is turned off, if they are not turned off by the driver.
• Chime Driver
• Compass/Minitrip Support
• Interior Lighting (Courtesy/Reading Lamps)
• BCM Diagnostic Reporting
• Electronic Liftgate Release (with Power Door Locks)
• Exterior Lighting
• Headlamp Time Delay (with/without Autoheadlamps)
• Automatic Headlamps (with electrochromatic mirror)
• Illuminated Entry
• Fade to Off. This feature dims the interior lighting (courtesy lamps) gradually if the BCM does not receive any new inputs that would cause the interior lamps to remain on.
• PWM Instrument Panel Dimming
• Door Lock Inhibit. This feature disables the door lock functions if the key is in the ignition and either front door is ajar. Pressing the RKE lock/unlock button under these conditions, result in normal lock/unlock activation.
• Power Sliding Door Switch Inputs. The BCM has 4 switch inputs for the power sliding door feature: Located in the overhead console are the Left and Right side sliding door switches to activate either or both sliding doors under the proper conditions. Also there are B-Pillar switches located on the Left and Right B-pillar posts

The door loom always breaks in exactly the same 'pinch point' on all these vans and is an easy fix - however, again, there should be no power ['Ignition-Off Draw'] to the doors when its in sleep mode.

Last edited by QinteQ; 12-21-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:34 PM

Here is the dvd monitor and the wiring on the floor. Very shabbily done and will be getting rid of it soon

Attached Thumbnails Car stalling after battery change-img_20140710_164833.jpg   Car stalling after battery change-img_20140710_164841.jpg  

Last edited by darkcild101; 08-21-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by darkcild101
Here is the dvd monitor and the wiring on the floor. Very shabbily done and will be getting rid of it soon
You need to find out where the live feed to the overhead video is coming from, this is easier to do before you pull it out.

In #33 you said """ the radio stays on and I have to manually switch it off """, do you mean :

- the radio stays on for a couple of minutes, and then automatically switches itself off, or ;
- do you mean the radio never switches itself off .... ever .... unless you switch it of manually

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car stalling after battery change