Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Car vibrates / shaking when braking

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Question Car vibrates / shaking when braking

Hello,

I need help.

I bought a new 2009 Town & Country van back on Sept 2009, within a first year, the car is shaking when I apply the brake. The Dealer RE-SURFACE back rotor. (3/2010)

After around six months of replacement, the car start to vibrate again. Bring the car back to dealer, they REPLACED front & back rotor with all new brake pad on Fed 2011.

Again, after around 5-6 months, the car start to vibrate again. Due to my work load, I can't bring the car back sooner until Mar 2012. This time, the dealer REPLACED new front and rear rotor with new Brake pad again.

On February this year, the car start to vibrate again and I'm get tired with it until now, it's shaking a lot.
Since the car is out of warranty therefore I can't bring it to the dealer.

At this time, I don't want to replace the rotor or the pad until I know the rot cause.

I want to find out the root caused and what make the brake/rotor that going bad so often, normal within a year or less.

Please help me to identify the problems.

FYI, I'm very gentle driver and driving 15 Miles per day to work (half local and half freeway). As of now, my car only had close to 30000 miles

Old 08-21-2013, 10:16 AM

Anyone? please help..

Old 08-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Default Shake Rattle and Roll.

Well as far as I can see the Dealer solves it every time but only for so long.
Brake discs/rotors seem to be warping and this can only be due to heat build up. Do your brakes smell after a run. Does your car seem down in power due to being held back ?
Goggs...

Old 08-21-2013, 02:12 PM

If shaking / vibration only happens when brake pedal is depressed, it definitely sounds like worn or warped rotors. Could be due to incorrect caliper pressures being applied, could be driving habits, hard to say for sure via an internet description.

May need new brake linings and both front / rear brake rotors to be sure brakes are operating properly on front and rear at same time

Old 08-22-2013, 02:31 AM

One thing you could do, is jack-up the car, and try to rotate the wheel manually, to see if there's abnormal resistance. That could cause overheating the discs, and cause warping...

Old 08-22-2013, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
Well as far as I can see the Dealer solves it every time but only for so long.
Brake discs/rotors seem to be warping and this can only be due to heat build up. Do your brakes smell after a run. Does your car seem down in power due to being held back ?
Goggs...
Goggs, thanks for your reply.

No, I don't smell any after 7 miles run (freeway & local with minimal brake) but I think the dics is VERY HOT.
When I try to drop a little water on the disc, I can heard the water boiling and it go away very quick.

Is the disc over heat and what caused?

Old 08-22-2013, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by ChryslerCares
If shaking / vibration only happens when brake pedal is depressed, it definitely sounds like worn or warped rotors. Could be due to incorrect caliper pressures being applied, could be driving habits, hard to say for sure via an internet description.

May need new brake linings and both front / rear brake rotors to be sure brakes are operating properly on front and rear at same time
ChryslerCares,
As I state on my email, it's Brand NEW front & rear disc with pad and it's only about six month when vibration occurred.

I'm driving very gental and when apply brake, I applied it slowly with a long distance before the car stop.

How do I check if the dealer set a incorrect caliper pressure?

Old 08-22-2013, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by avdhulst
One thing you could do, is jack-up the car, and try to rotate the wheel manually, to see if there's abnormal resistance. That could cause overheating the discs, and cause warping...
Avdhulst,
Thanks for your reply.

I will try to jack-up the car this weekend to try your suggestion.
How do I know if the wheel is "abnormal resistance"?

Thanks

Old 08-23-2013, 04:32 AM

That's difficult to say. In general if you spin the wheel, it should make a few rotations before stopping but it's not an exact science . Also when rotating, the rotation should feel smooth, not grinding.

(I'm not a technician though, but replaced the discs and rotors on my Chrysler Neon a few times.) After replacing I just checked if I could spin the wheel with one or two fingers (on the surface that's in contact with the road, not the sidewall).

Old 08-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Default Time Warp.

I recon your needing new Caliphers on your brake system. Or after you test it when jacked up, the wheels that are binding. Rear brakes on these cars have a habit of binding after the piston is pressed back in for new pads.
If it was possible to screw the pistons in it might set the square seals better.

Quick Reply: Car vibrates / shaking when braking