Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap reversing camera. How do i connect/wire this

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by darkcild101
I will do tonight. The box is plain white nothing on it at all
I suppose that for £7.99 you were lucky to get a box

Old 06-29-2015, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by AlanC
I suppose that for £7.99 you were lucky to get a box

Must have realised their mistake and thought they would get me by not putting any instructions

Old 06-29-2015, 10:06 AM

Must have realised their mistake and thought they would get me by not putting any instructions
It's not the end of the world, I'm sure we can sort it out.

Your monitor looks like this one http://shop.reversingcamerasuk.com/e...roducts/MON293
but this has a 4 pin plug on the cable. It's hard to see from your photo's what type of plug your monitor has.

Last edited by AlanC; 06-29-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:50 PM

7i
It's not the end of the world, I'm sure we can sort it out.

Your monitor looks like this one Dual voltage 7 inch clip on mirror monitor - ReversingcamerasUK
but this has a 4 pin plug on the cable. It's hard to see from your photo's what type of plug your monitor has.
Here you are Alan these are the only nstructions it came with. I forgot to say there is also a hole saw which I assume is to drill a hole above lice plate. It better be perfect fit I dont want to end up with a big gaping hole

Attached Thumbnails Cheap reversing camera. How do i connect/wire this-camera-1.jpg   Cheap reversing camera. How do i connect/wire this-camera-2.jpg   Cheap reversing camera. How do i connect/wire this-camera-3.jpg  

Last edited by darkcild101; 06-29-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:04 PM

We need to clarify a few things before you start installing this equipment:
1) Are you going to use the monitor just for the reversing camera or do you plan to use it for something else too? e.g. a second camera or a video player.
If you are just using the monitor for the reversing camera then it's probably best, but not the easiest, if you power the monitor and the camera from the 12v supply for the reversing lights.
The monitor and the camera will then only be active when you select reverse gear.

However, from what I can see from the poor image, the monitor has a power button, if so it means you will have to switch the monitor on each time you want to view the reversing camera and if this is the case, then it'll be easier to just power the monitor from the left hand power socket.

2) In your photograph of the camera, I can see a yellow plug, which is obviously the video signal which goes to the monitor, and a red plug/socket which is obviously for the 12v supply. Did you get another shortish cable that plugs into this red socket and if so, does it have a red wire and a black wire coming out of it?

3) So far I've not been able to figure out what the purple cable is for that comes out of the monitor. Does the monitor have an inbuilt speaker? If so the purple wire could be to connect to the audio output of a DVD player, although if so it would normally terminate in a red or white phono socket.

It would take 30 minutes to sort this out on a bench but difficult to do by proxy.

Edit: This is the cable I'm referring to in item 2) I just found this photo on eBay.
Name:  RGA9nBr.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  27.8 KB

Last edited by AlanC; 06-30-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:48 AM
kkc

I installed reverse and forward ultrasound detectors many years ago. For the reverse, you can open up the rear light unit closest to the built in box at the back that holds the emergency car jack. You can then splice the rear reversing light wiring so that you can connect the rear power supply... when you place the gear into reverse, the camera is powered and you can see. The control box, assuming it is small enough, can be housed in the cavity that holds the jack, making sure that it nor the wiring gets whacked by removing and replacing the jack. You may find you don't have long enough cable. I had to extend my cabling and in my case it was two wire shielded cable which I was unable to find so I created my own with kitchen aluminium foil as shield. You will need to solder the splice or car vibration could cause a short.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:25 PM

We need to clarify a few things before you start installing this equipment:
1) Are you going to use the monitor just for the reversing camera or do you plan to use it for something else too? e.g. a second camera or a video player.
If you are just using the monitor for the reversing camera then it's probably best, but not the easiest, if you power the monitor and the camera from the 12v supply for the reversing lights.
The monitor and the camera will then only be active when you select reverse gear.

However, from what I can see from the poor image, the monitor has a power button, if so it means you will have to switch the monitor on each time you want to view the reversing camera and if this is the case, then it'll be easier to just power the monitor from the left hand power socket.

I th
2) In your photograph of the camera, I can see a yellow plug, which is obviously the video signal which goes to the monitor, and a red plug/socket which is obviously for the 12v supply. Did you get another shortish cable that plugs into this red socket and if so, does it have a red wire and a black wire coming out of it?

3) So far I've not been able to figure out what the purple cable is for that comes out of the monitor. Does the monitor have an inbuilt speaker? If so the purple wire could be to connect to the audio output of a DVD player, although if so it would normally terminate in a red or white phono socket.

It would take 30 minutes to sort this out on a bench but difficult to do by proxy.

Edit: This is the cable I'm referring to in item 2) I just found this photo on eBay.

I plan to use it for reversing

I connected the wires together and connected the red wires to poistive terminal on car battery and yhe two black ones to the negative terminal and it worked I.e the screen was getting the feed from the camera so at least we know all the bits work. Where is the blue wire supposed to go

The screeen has two modes from what I can tell, one for camera mode and the other to connect to dvd or something lke that

Last edited by darkcild101; 07-04-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:08 AM

Where is the blue wire supposed to go
I referred to your blue cable as purple because it looked purple in your photo.

The screeen has two modes from what I can tell, one for camera mode and the other to connect to dvd or something lke that