Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Chrysler T&C will rev 3 times but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:10 AM
Default Chrysler T&C will rev 3 times but won't start

Often times when I start my 98 Chrysler Town & Country I turn the key in the ignition and the enginge will rev but everything shuts down after a couple of seconds. I can typically do this 3 times before it won't rev at all. If I let it sit for a couple of hours I can go back to the van and start it up just like clockwork.

I've had this problem fora little over a year. The battery appears to work fine as the radio works while the car is in this inoperable position. This problem used to happen every other week in the morning last summer, maybe once during the winter and has now happened three times this past week.

I am also having instances where all of my gauges will cut off when I'm driving temperature gauge, speedometer etc. including the digital temperature and odometer readings will cut off and stay off for a day or two at a time. The radio station display will stay on.

I'm not sure if these two issues are related but I have done some research on-line to find that many others are having the same problem but haven't heard of a fix.

The car is in the shop now but they can't find anything wrong with it.

I noticed a similar post on this forum(Voyager 98 will not start - 4/28/2007 3:02:24 PM), but didn't see a technician response.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Old 06-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Chrysler T&C will rev 3 times but won't start

look for the repair of the broken solder points on the insterment cluster ck board. IF u cant fix that yourself then get a dealer to install a new cluster printed ckt board and program it.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:40 PM

I am having the same problems.

The van will start sometimes and other times will not. No real rhythm or reason when either.

I also have the issue with the instrument panel coming and going.

Here is what I have found so far.

I found these codes:

P0401 = Exhaust gas recirculation flow insufficient detected
P1698 = No CCD message from TCM

I have had my suspicions that the car not starting was related to the anti-theft system. I have found plenty of suggestions on this issue alone.

1. When it won’t start get out and lock the car with the key – wait – unlock the can with the key (which resets the anti-theft system) then try again.
2. I have been told that the system registers three doors. Driver and passengers side doors. And the tailgate.
3. If the car doesn’t start try number 1. on all three doors
4. I was also told that outside replacing the computer module with one that doesn’t have the anti-theft component I would have to never use the keyless entry to lock the doors and should not use the power locks but should always use the manual locks to lock up. This was suppose to by-pass the system and never arm the theft device.

I wish I could tell you that all or some of that helped me. It didn’t.

I was also told that I might have a ground wire loose someplace and this would cause all these issues.

Well when I got the codes above I spoke with a man at the parts house and he suggested I get a new key.

That it seems that the van is not recognizing the key. This would explain why none of the reset procedures worked for me. He said that the TCM in the code means Theft Control Module.

Any how I thought I would post what I have found out so far and will post Monday or Tuesday once I get a new key for the van. Not even sure how long it will take to get a new key made for the van.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

what year van do u have eddie?? if u have an older van they dont have skim keys. This post is for vans 96 to 2000 .

4. I was also told that outside replacing the computer module with one that doesn’t have the anti-theft component I would have to never use the keyless entry to lock the doors and should not use the power locks but should always use the manual locks to lock up. This was suppose to by-pass the system and never arm the theft device.
this is not true
Well when I got the codes above I spoke with a man at the parts house and he suggested I get a new key.

That it seems that the van is not recognizing the key. This would explain why none of the reset procedures worked for me. He said that the TCM in the code means Theft Control Module.

this is also not true TCM IS Transmission Computer

this is not true
and lastly if u get a new key and it does has skim it wont start the van untill u get it programed by the dealer

so all said what year and engine size and we still start from prob #1

Old 06-23-2007, 06:23 PM

I am sorry for my assumption.

I have a 98 Chrysler Town and Country.

3.8L engine

thanks for the help
eddie

Old 06-23-2007, 08:07 PM

I found this website helpful too.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Chrysler-...xExp_63082.htm

just for reference.

Eddie

Old 06-23-2007, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

ok then U dont have a chip key so the whole new key thing is out the window.
SO basicly what is your prob never did say that

Old 06-24-2007, 04:01 AM

Hi
I am having the same problem with mychrysler voyager 2.0 1998 and it is driving me mad.Do you think using thekey only will get solve the problem on not. If nothow much does it cost to get the box replaced without the alarm fitted.
Regards, Ian

Old 06-25-2007, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

tell me what YOUR Prob is dont lump it in with other peoples

Old 06-26-2007, 01:27 PM

Just to be helpful. I have the same problem as jewel and eddie in my 1999 T&C: dead instruments while driving (fortunately it doesn't stop), dead odometer while trying to start, etc. I know for sure what the problem is: broken solder on the instruments PCB connector, and I'm trying to get some time to remove de instrument cluster and fix it.

What you can do if in a hurry to use your car is:
1.- Turn the key to the on position
2.- While locking at the odometer, hit gently the top of the instruments cluster until numbers in odometer apears. Sometimesyou need to hit a little harder, but it allways work.
3.- Then, you can start the van without any problem.

Here is a link that shows how to remove the cluster to fix the problem: http://www.ingriddijkers.com/CaravanPics.html

I am not recommending you do this forever, cause I know this is not a solution, but it helps until the final repair is done. Good luck!.

Quick Reply: Chrysler T&C will rev 3 times but won't start