Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Chrysler Voyager 2.5 td not starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 10:49 AM
Smile Chrysler Voyager 2.5 td not starting

Hello! I have a 95' Chrysler Voyager 2.5 td, which I am trying to get running. The last owner told me he drove it into the garage to fix something, and when he was going to drive it out of the garage it wouldn't fire. The owner passed away, and I am now trying to make it run now. I don't know anything about those engines, but it somehow isn't getting diesel to the engine.

The engine look like this:

[IMG]b6ccfba464b4c82296f3a20c48de18ccd6f93fee[/IMG]

I now have some questions.... I did loosen one of the nuts on the diesel injector, but there was no sign of diesel there. I also took away one of the hoses for the diesel return between the injectors, no sign of diesel here either.

Is there any form of a feed pump in the back of the car? Maybe that pump is not feeding diesel to the engine, or is the main diesel pump supposed to suck the diesel all the way to the engine?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-15-2014, 10:50 AM

I did something wrong with the picture, here is a picture of how the engine looks:

Old 06-16-2014, 02:03 AM
tfb

no lift pump, the injection pump sucks it up from the tank.

disconnect the diesel feed pipe from the pump and see if you can suck any fuel up, also check that the stop solenoid on the pump is functioning.

Regards
Richard

Old 06-16-2014, 11:44 AM

Hi tfb and thanks for the reply!

I tried to disconnect the diesel feed pipe to the pump, and I could suck up some fuel. I also bypassed the fuel filter, and connected a hose directly from the fuel supply line to the feed pipe on the pump, in case the filter was bad. The car is still not starting. I will add a picture for easier explaining the thing I've done.

Is the unit marked with red the stop solenoid on the pump? If so I seems someone have changed it, there is no vacuum line to it, only an electric wire in the end, which didnt have any power. I tried to jumpstart the solenoid, I connected a wire directly from the battery to the solenoid, but still nothing happened.

What happens if the solenoid isnt working? And can I manually do something to make it run?

I also loosened up the blue and the yellow nut, and there is not coming any fuel there when im cranking the engine.

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-16-2014, 11:45 AM

Old 06-16-2014, 11:52 AM

I guess the solenoid is controlled by the ignition? When I measured the wire there was no difference if I had the ignition off or on.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:25 PM
tfb

That looks about the right spot for it, it's on the part where the 4 pipes go out to the injectors.
it should have 12V on it when the ignition is on, if you pup 12V directly onto it you should hear a click as the valve opens. If the pump is dry it will take a bit of cranking to get fuel upto the injectors.
You can also measure the resistance of the stop solenoid to confirm that the coil is OK

Regards
Richard

Old 06-16-2014, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the fast reply tfb!

Nothing is happening when I pup 12V directly onto it. You should only hear a click? The solenoid isnt physically pulling the wire so it opens? Because in the other end there is a wire that pulls on a shaft that goes into the engine block, I tried to hold this "open" manually. But that didn't help.

But I have confirmed that the engine is not sucking up diesel. I poured a litre of diesel into a transparent can and a hose into the feed pipe on the pump. It is not sucking diesel at all. But if I spray some start gas into the intake it is firing a bit, so there clearly is a diesel problem.

Would ble glad for any more suggestions or help.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:00 AM
tfb

Just to confirm that we are talking about the same thing, the shut off valve is part 3 in this drawing (ignore the red highlights, it's not my drawing)

http://666kb.com/i/c5kif6zum53tirzey.jpg

use a multi-meter to measure the resistance from the terminal where the wire connects to ground and let me know what the reading is.

Regards
Richard

Old 06-17-2014, 11:45 AM

Yea, I think we are talking about the same unit. This is how it look like, I already took it out of the car to have a look at it. I can't make it do anything if I put 12V on the connector at the end there. Not even a click:

But anyway, you can see that there is a wire connected to the other end, which is pulling on a mechanism on the engine. So when I manually put it in either on or off position manually, the car should start if that was the problem?

I actually got a video of me when I am moving the mechanism so you can see. I am pointing where the wire is supposed to be attached. And in the end of the record I am pointing the camera at the top of the pump where it says Bosch, what is that unit doing? Maybe I should check the wires to that?

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Z9...ature=youtu.be

I didn't quite understand what you were meaning by measuring the resistance from the terminal.

And there is hope, because it is firing on start gas

Thanks for your help, really appreciated!

Quick Reply: Chrysler Voyager 2.5 td not starting