Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrysler Voyager 2.5CRD 2006

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 04:03 PM
Default Chrysler Voyager 2.5CRD 2006

Good Evening all well it is in the UK,

I have been scouring the web to try to fix a problem on a relatives Chrysler voyager 2.5 CRD 2006 that intermittently cuts out when running.

Having found some information that the cause could be a cracked filter housing that is located on the front of the engine on this model.

I have removed the complete assembly with out disturbing the filter and blocked off one end with a suitable hose and applied air pressure to the other whist immersing it in a bucket of water. High tech diagnostics !! anyway fair to say a stream of bubbles emerged from the fuel heater connector that is moulded into the housing.

I am fairly confident this is the problem and wondered if anyone is aware if a Technical Bulletin has been issued on replacing this as I believe the new one comes with a wiring harness mod no doubt because the fuel heater connector appears to melt !!

If anyone has experienced this I would be interested to know and could also point me in the direction of a workshop manual I can only find early diesel manuals that have a different fuel filter/separator assembly.

The filter assembly on this vehicle looks like this CHRYSLER GRAND VOYAGER 2.8 CRD 04-08 FUEL FILTER HOUSING LIFT PRIMER PUMP | eBay

So it appears to be fitted on 2.8 models as well.

Any info appreciated

Thanks

Zeberdy

Old 09-22-2014, 03:35 AM

I thought the 2.5 was replaced by the 2.8 in 2004. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by AlanC
I thought the 2.5 was replaced by the 2.8 in 2004. Perhaps I'm mistaken.
Coincidentally, I've been thinking of a newer GV and when searching this morning, there's a few 2005/2006 2.5CRD's advertised on ebay.
Lying around unregistered and sold later perhaps?

Old 09-22-2014, 12:04 PM

(GENUINE) CHRYSLER VOYAGER DIESEL FUEL FILTER ASSEMBLY - P/N 68043087AA | eBay This is what I found on ebay!

This might help also? These guys are the main importers for genuine Mopar Chrysler parts! Megga cheap compaired to main stealers for the exact same stuff! JNL 01276 63278

Old 09-22-2014, 01:23 PM
Default Re Voyager 2.5CRD Fuel Filter Housing issue

Thanks for the replies i have done a bit more digging and turned up a Service Bulletin on the web that confirms the problem and have the relevant parts on order now in fact my local dealer was not too bad Fuel Filter Housing 68043087AA £121.81 + vat and wiring harness modification required 68043086AB (number now changed) £16.60 + vat .

https://cda.extra.chrysler.com/icon/...es/1801109.pdf

This filter housing is used on the 2.8CRD and also some other chrysler / dodge vehicles no doubt they have the same issue.

Some images of parts and testing procedure !! here as may help other people appears to be common Chrysler problem https://plus.google.com/photos/10361...52627822407969

The reason they supply a harness mod is because the heater connector burns out and this ruptures the filter housing that then sucks air through it.

Could also be some dodgy hoses as those quick fit fuel connectors take a lot to be desired see here Solution Finally found to Fuel Problem - Dodge Nitro Forum - Forums and Owners Club! but hope I have nailed it.

Would still like a PDF of the service manual if anyone can help .

Many Thanks

Zeberdy

Old 09-22-2014, 01:51 PM
tfb
Old 09-22-2014, 02:35 PM

Thanks Richard,

I found those manuals but having hunted all through them they show a different fuel filter/ water separator I think some voyagers had an electric lift pump that primes the system and then use the gear driven pump were as later vehicles did not have the electric lift pump.

I will see what I can get of the master tech at the dealership when I pick the bits up.

Have to say the parts are about half price in dollars over the pond.

Thanks

Old 09-22-2014, 03:10 PM

The deeper you dig the more you find so been issued free in some cases.

Surely this should have been a full recall as a safety critical item given they are obviously aware of it and now have modified parts and wiring harness.

LOST JEEPS • View topic - New OEM Fuel Filter and HEad Assembly

seems some people are not connecting the heater plug as it may still burn out on the new assembly great !

Regards

Old 09-22-2014, 03:35 PM

This should have been recalled by VOSA!... The last thing anyone wants is to pull out of a junction and tge engine says bye bye!... I'm going to have to take a littke look see! Also gonna give JNL a ring tomz and see how much they want for the gear! Plus how much a new EGR valve is...

Old 09-22-2014, 04:01 PM

Seems Chrysler (Fiat are aware of this) but we are being fopped off in the UK. Interesting reading here:

Chrysler Grand Voyager Engine cutting out; fuel heater. | phatboyroy

I hope this never kills anyone it has the potential too through failure to pull away at junction or loss of power in fast lane.

Some rubbish in there but lots of people with same problem.

Anyone changed the fuel pipes with high pressure hose and jubilee clips ?

Regards