Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Chrysler Voyager 7 to 8 seater conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:46 AM
Default Chrysler Voyager 7 to 8 seater conversion

Hi, we are looking into buying an older Chrysler voyager (r or s reg) and converting it from a 7 seater into an 8 seater (i am pregnant with our 6th child).
I need some advice on how we go about the conversion? Is it just a case of buying a bench seat & replacing the 2 middle captains seats, are the fittings all the same I.e. in the same place?
Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance...

Old 10-10-2011, 08:20 AM

Just get a rear seat and replace the buckets i did this with ours last weekend and took

7 of the girls from her work, including my wife to the city shopping.

Just make sure the rear shocks are good ,but you just have kids so you will be ok.

I sort of felt like that sister wife guy.

The seat belts 8 will work as mine did.

Congrats on the newest member of your flock!

Old 03-03-2014, 05:14 PM

Newbie here

So am i right saying the 7 seater can be converted by simply putting a 3 seat bench in middle

Desperately need an 8 seater and the Grand Voyager is the only one i like the est are so ugly or too expensive

Old 03-04-2014, 12:52 AM

The seatbelt layout suggests it would work, my thoughts were getting people in and out of the rearmost bench seat.
The 2 single seats have a leaver so they tip forward (like a 3 door car would)to allow access, whereas I don't think the bench does.
It would fold forward, flat, but not sure if the framework would make it much better getting in and out.
I suppose it can also move forwards and back, this might help.

Best bet would be to remove the 2 and try the bench upfront to see how it goes.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:17 AM

It will be very difficult for an adult to access the rear bench seat but youngsters could probably manage to climb over the middle bench if the backrest is folded down.
Edit: As Scotsman suggests, do a trial run with the existing bench seat first, that's if the seller will co-operate. The middle bucket seats just unlatch before lifting out, then the rear bench can be unlocked and rolled forward on it's little wheels.

Last edited by AlanC; 03-04-2014 at 04:21 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:09 AM

Hi, something you may not have considered and that is the legal requirements. First off, like others have said you can fit a rear bench seat into the middle however, you are legally required to inform your insurance company because you are increasing the seating capacity of the vehicle.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:14 PM

Personally, I'd just declare it as an 8 seater when getting quotes and leave everything up to the insurer

Last edited by Scotsman4th; 03-29-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:47 PM

I am going to look at a Grand Voyager this weekend. However I am wondering whether its middle seats can be replaced with a bench one? Its a 2001 model. I ask because I read somewhere that there is a model you cajt do this with

thanks in advance

Old 06-26-2014, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by darkcild101
I am going to look at a Grand Voyager this weekend. However I am wondering whether its middle seats can be replaced with a bench one? Its a 2001 model. I ask because I read somewhere that there is a model you cajt do this with

thanks in advance
You can not re-configure the seats in any Voyager which has 'Stow 'n' Go' seating. But that's 2004 onwards (I think). You're OK with a 2001.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:43 AM

Following Vonhofinrule's comment, also check out if your UK driving licence covers you! I understand there have been changes, f'rinstance it appears you cant just tow a caravan anymore without some licence changes. There could be other ramifications we don't know about too. The authorities DO come up with new regulations unbeknown to you. Your 8 seat conversion might come under a different classification maybe. Also a standard question insurance companies now ask is "have there been any modifications to the vehicle"? And if there has been, who did it and is there a certificate? This affected me when I ran a Jag with an LPG conversion. I had to photocopy and send the completion certificate every time I wanted insurance. Indeed, when I sold a house, their lawyer wanted the 'cert for a dormer conversion to show it complied with building regulations.

Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 06-26-2014 at 05:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Chrysler Voyager 7 to 8 seater conversion