Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrysler Voyager 7 to 8 seater conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 07:11 AM

Well just as a follow up to Leedsman, this is the link to the UK licence service, and from what I'm seeing there's no restriction however, there are still some issues remaining. https://www.gov.uk/old-driving-licence-categories

Leedsman is correct in assuming that you will have to have the vehicle certified. I had a chat with my insurance recently and out of curiosity asked. To begin with you are legally require to inform your insurance and they will ask for the vehicle to be inspected to ensure its EU compliance, furthermore, you cannot simply declare it as an 8 seater because any insurance company will have access to the vehicles original manufactures registered specs which states 7 seats.

However one other issue may arise. Recently I've had my rear bench locked into the centre position in-order to gain more rear carrying capacity, but I noticed that placing it there would make it very difficult if not impossible for any rear passengers to exit the vehicle without help or at least somebody moving the centre bench forward therefore if I'm not mistaken this is now illegal within the EU. I think the law states that rear passengers must be able to exit the vehicle without any assistance. Therefore, I don't think you'd be able to obtain and certificate of compliance.

Finally, even if you are given a certificate of compliance, you may then have to pay additional taxes because when it was first sold, the taxes paid where for a 7 seater, however, increasing to 8 means that additional taxes may have to be paid.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:01 PM

Oh indeed yes...How many times have I seen on television police pulling up a female driver for not having a baby secured in the vehicle with a proper baby seat?
I see "Last of the summer wine" repeats (for the umpteenth time), showing several old men being shifted around in the back of a red Toyota pick-up truck or Landrover sitting on a plank! Can't do that now.

Leedsman.

Leedsman.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:23 AM

Yeah I remember back in the 80's I owned a customised 78 Ford Transit van and several of us heading off to Blackpool for the weekend with the guys in back sitting on the floor and in deckchairs haha. Those days have long since gone.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:45 PM

Just to clarify which may help the OP, but Vonhofinvule's point about the passenger behind the bench not being able to get out with help isn't quite as I remember the rear bench - it's been two long years with one...

The rear bench has handle which tips the back of the seat forward/back, and also underneath there is the bar which moves left/right underneath which allows the bench to be in one of three positions, so if it is used in the rear-most position, the rear passenger could move it about 6 inches further forward, release the seat back to the horizontal position and climb out...

As I say, it's been a while but that is what occurred to me when we had the removal seats and were considering using two benches...

Steve

Old 07-02-2014, 09:42 AM

Hi sjbilton, unfortunately this would not comply with the regulations. The seat has to fold into the exit position with a single leaver action, operational from both the right and left hand side of the seat, it also has to be accessible from a standing position outside the vehicle. Now if the vehicle was built before 1988 then that maybe permissible but don't quote me on that.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:10 PM

Would a three seat bench from a normal Voyager fit into a Grand Voyager

thanks for your input

Old 01-24-2015, 11:06 AM

Sorry to bump an old thread ...

I have a 2004 grand voyager NOT Stow and go

I tried to fit my rear bench into the centre to allow more space in back and it wouldn't line up on the clips the bench seat clips where wider than the anchors on the floor if the car so wouldn't fit ..

Old 01-24-2015, 11:43 AM

I had a 2004 GV, not Stow and Go and I'm pretty sure I sometimes moved the bench seat into the centre. I have a friend who has a short wheelbase Voyager and he does the same.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:41 PM

Nope it won't work on mine the anchors on the floor are slightly wider than the hooks on the seats , when all seats are out you can see the different in layout on the anchors the configuration is wider at the front setup than the back .. If I get time tomorrow I'll take some pics ..

Old 01-26-2015, 10:30 AM

This may not be relevant to your GV but this example is for a different seating arrangement, a middle bench seat instead of two buckets. The guy explains that additional seat mountings are located underneath the carpet.

Quick Reply: Chrysler Voyager 7 to 8 seater conversion