Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Clutch problems

Old 02-22-2010, 02:42 AM
Default Clutch problems

Have just had my clutch replaced, drove the car around and was fine, tried moving it a few days later and the gears dont go in, does the clutch need bleeding, if so anyone have any ideas on how to?
It is a 2.5 crd Diesel 2003

Old 02-23-2010, 06:35 AM

AFAIK, you have a cable operating clutch.
so, no bleeding.

possibly, the clutch plate got sticky and wouldn't release from the flywheel. try changing gears while the engine is OFF and the car standing still.
if that goes without problems, try starting the car with your clutch pedal depressed and in 2nd gear.
maybe the car will try to move forward a bit, but try to drive it for a while (no changing gears, just accelerate-decelerate, ude brakes).
that should release the clutch plate.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:41 AM

That probably explains why i could not find a bleed nipple.
Gears go in fine when engine is off, also tried putting in 2nd gear, depressing clutch then starting it, the car starts moving as there is no clutch....
I will try again tonight, and drive it for a while to see if it does release the clutch plate...
Strange thing is the clutch is extremely light now, feels more like pressing a accelarator pedal?

Old 02-24-2010, 08:40 AM

sorry, maybe I did not express myself right.

test: 2nd gear, press the clutch pedal all the way down and start the engine.
does it feel like the car wants to go forward (clutch still pressed all the way down)?
when you start to release the pedal, how long before the the car starts to move? half way to the top? closer to the bottom or closer to the top of the clutch pedal travel?

clutch cable can be adjusted.
try to find out which oil is in your gearbox.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:44 AM

Yes, Car off - in 2nd gear, clutch pressed in - start the car and the car wants to start moving although the clutch is in.
Taking foot of the clutch does not make any difference.
I have been advised it is all hydraulic, not cable driven?
ATF oil.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:35 AM

well.

my car is an older model, and it's a gasoline engine, but I still have a diesel gearbox on it. I had to change gearbox, and the trouth is, they are the same. and as far as I know, all these cars (voy Mk. III and IV) have the same gearboxes and same type of clutch.
also, fluid inside the gearbox should be regular engine oil 5W30.

but, let me check out about that when I get home. maybe it's really different on a newer model voyager.

but one thing is for sure.
your clutch is NOT disengaging properly, and that's why you can't change gears normally. and if you have a hydraulic clutch, why can't you find a bleeder?

Last edited by I wonder; 02-25-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:45 AM

I know exactly what you mean, called Chrysler and they said its a sealed unit?

Old 03-14-2010, 12:01 PM

Any more on this I wonder?

Old 05-04-2010, 04:06 AM
Default Clutch problem

This seems to describe the symptoms of my 51 crd voyager. Gears are a struggle to change. Need to force them in and sometimes grind. When in gear with the clutch pedal all the way down, the cars stills wants to move and vibrates a lot. Does anyone think it is the cluck kit that needs replacing or is it something else?

Old 05-04-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by harrysaimbhi
Any more on this I wonder?
What's the mileage of your Voyager?

Was the clutch fork replaced when the clutch was replaced?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch problems