Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door lock pin / plunger is stuck when using remote

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:51 AM
Default Door lock pin / plunger is stuck when using remote

My Chrysler 2.8 diesel limited edition from 2006 has lately had problems with the powered sliding door on the passenger side. When remotely unlocking (or locking), the door pin (plunger in the manual) doesn't move, from either position. It moves just slightly, so it gets power, but it seems to be stuck. The Chrysler guy (not a mechanic) had a quick look and thought that most likely I had to replace the central locking 'engine'. This will cost 600-700 dollars in total, he thought.

I'm not willing to pay this without giving it a serious effort myself. Even though I haven't done repair jobs last 15 years myself, I've decided to put on my overall again :-) I just ordered the Haynes book...

Anyone who has experience with this? How do I open up the door's interior? My initial thoughts are to check for a mechanical defect and to spray (quite) some WD40. Is this OK?

I'm very grateful for any tips. It would be nice to save some bucks on this relatively simple (?) issue. Paying 600-700 dollars for a stuck pin...

Old 12-29-2010, 02:28 PM

You will most likely be replacing the latch in the affected door if the wd-40 does not remedy your issue.(Which I doubt will work, but....Stranger things have happened..)

Can you unlock it by "Hand"???? From inside the vehicle, and the door closed 3/4 of the way, remve the window trim, remove the phillips screws under the trim, and pry the panel off from the lower corner to disengage the push pins. Spray the latch assembly while working the **** up and down....

Old 12-29-2010, 06:03 PM

Yes, I can move it up and down, no problem. It seems to be as 'resistant' as the opposite door.

Thanks a lot for the tip. Where are the 'push pins' located? Do they secure the panel, or what? I assume the uncovering procedure is described in Haynes?

Btw, what do you mean by 'latch'? The whole locking mechanism = expensive?

Old 12-29-2010, 07:06 PM

Yes the push pins secure the trim panel in lieu of screws.....Haynes may not cover it, but take your time and be patient, it will become obvious.

Yes the latch is assembly at the rear edge of the door, and contains the latching mechanism, and the electric actuator for the lock. It is not serviced as seperate components.

It may be considered Expensive, but ......Not even close to half of what you were quoted for whatever it was that they were going to sell you.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:57 AM

Is this the correct part you're talking about, the latch?

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/nlv13851/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/nlv13851/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG]

Old 12-30-2010, 04:01 AM

Hmmm, posting a picture didn't work so well. Here's the link instead:

http://www.bildelsbasen.se/?link=item&post_id=16717278#

Old 12-30-2010, 04:37 AM

Or, is it even all these parts (same part as previous link but with a LOT of extra parts)?

http://www.atracco.se/Bilder/delart/G/677963_1_G.jpg

Old 12-30-2010, 07:04 PM

The black one in the middle...with the gold colored metal body.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:06 PM

The black one in the middle...with the gold colored metal body.The first one you showed is the Slider motor.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:41 PM

Are you 100% sure? I showed this picture to a couple of front desk Chrysler garage people and they thought it was the part to the left of the one identified by you.

Quick Reply: Door lock pin / plunger is stuck when using remote