Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drilled Rotors & Carbon Metallic Pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 09:50 AM
Thumbs up Drilled Rotors & Carbon Metallic Pads

I had drilled rotors and the Carbon Metallic pads on my previous car Chrysler Voyager and loved the combo, so when my new car needed new front pads I went with what I knew best. I totally agree at first they seem almost ""soft"", but when you get on them they grab just as hard as the stock pads. So for me that was a benefit because I always felt the car kind of shake slightly when first applying the brakes with the stock pads, but with the LUK Schaffer it's a much more gradual grab so it's smoother braking.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:50 AM

I wonder if you are a re-seller of these items?

Old 09-07-2014, 08:40 PM

Drilled rotors are not the best way to go, especially in a daily driver. Sure you can be told what ever by someone selling them but you really don't get any gain what so ever in a stock van.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:21 AM

non sports

- coefficient of friction was 21% higher for drilled disks than standard front disks at 340F and higher using 15 brake snubs at 62mph
- a simulated 124 mph fade test showed 37% better brake output for drilled disks, the drilled disks brake temperature was about 150 degrees cooler

performance car

- coefficient of friction was significantly higher for drilled rotors especially at high temperature
- wet braking at high pedal pressure was the same for drilled or standard rotors
- wet braking is not significantly improved by drilled rotors
- pedal force was much more consistent with drilled rotors over the brake temperature range
- that is, to stop at the same deceleration rate, the driver does not need to modulate pedal pressure based on different brake temperatures
- this reduces driver fatigue and improves brake response

see

slotted disks after a quick read round !

Where is the evidence that slotted disks are better or even worse than drilled or non-drilled convection transfer cooling or brake fade ?. There is some evidence that slotted 'chew' 20% more lining material than stock disks, slotted also helps get rid of gas & debris from under the pad. Normal car use slotted seems to be pointless and expensive in terms of normal street motorway cost / benefit whereas maybe and only a maybe track racing will give a benefit where specially formulated coefficient of friction pads are changed each race / event. For me if Porsche, Mercedes and BMW come with OEM drilled rotors, there must be a reason why slotted are not used by these giants of technology research funding.

03 van with rear discs: listed at 281 mm

08 G35 not RWD listed as 319.5 mm

Last edited by QinteQ; 09-17-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:49 PM

I must admit that we have MTEC drilled and groved with Mintex pads on our GV! And the stopping is fantastic. On my Toyota Celica gt4 ST 205 import I have EBC Turbo Grove and Yellow stuff pads! They are okay once they have warmed up as they are really a track pad...