Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Dumping Coolant

Old 11-03-2014, 01:38 AM
Bee
Default Dumping Coolant

Hi Guys/Girls.
My 06 2.8TD ltd has dropped its coolant again. I think its the heater that's at fault. the one under the car. I think it's happening when its parked. Any idea's why.
Thanks

Old 11-03-2014, 03:12 AM

Not me, but I think a member here has had this very fault, but I can't remember who...

Leedsman.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Bee

thanks for the reply. I just read it, nice one.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:11 PM

Yes get it out of there as the heat exchanger in the heater has fractured.
The simple solution at mo to get you moving, unless you have a replacement is to remove the heater and replace it with a piece of rubber coolant hose in a nice long arc to avoid kinking, inside the heater housing.
Size of hose eludes me at moment, but motorfactors keep it.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Bee

Rite guys it's dun it again today. I parked up out side the house and the aux heater was still running. When I came back out after a half hour all the coolant was on the road. Has the aux heater got some sort of thermostat to stop over heating the water or a way of releasing the over heated water.

On an other note my GV 2.8TD is returning 22mpg can the O2 sensor affect the mpg.
Thanks

Old 11-04-2014, 01:12 PM

Your in Danger of loosing your engine...

Old 11-05-2014, 07:43 AM

I would take this into a garage to get it up on the ramps! Search on you tube for webasto heaters! You can see how they work. I don't think they have a way of dumping coolant!.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:28 PM

I had a thought earlier -- when you've done Goggs' mod., if the antifreeze is at all old, make sure it's changed. Then no plugged up radiator to follow sometime.

Leedsman.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:09 PM
Bee

Thanks for the reply's guys.
I think I will bypass the aux heater. do i need to remove the fuel and electrics from the heater.
Thanks

Old 11-05-2014, 03:24 PM

Withdraw electrical plug, grease over end so water can't get to 12v contacts and tie plug to frame with electrical plastic tie. Or put plug in a tight bag and tie up but moisture might get in.
Regarding fuel pipe which is small bore, use one of the short connecting flexy pipes and attach to pipe with clamp, not worm screw type but proper fuel piping type. You now have a hole in other end of hose to stop off which is easier than steel pipe stopping. What to use comes easier, piece of round steel bar right size would do. I used the shank of a drill with other end cut off. Clamp up to finish. Tie against frame, pipework, etc.
Then await Santa coming at Christmas with replacement...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dumping Coolant