Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR Solenoid pipe cracked

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 12:06 PM
Default EGR Solenoid pipe cracked

Busy changing my glow plugs (Will post on this separately) and took the EGR Solenoid off, but didn't disconnect the two pipes off it, just moved it, then found the two plastic pipes had gone brittle... And the white capped one snapped.

It's the one attached to the white marked fitting on here, which according to the shop manual is EGR Solenoid, right at the front of the engine.

So, question is, firstly what is the name of this pipe, it goes towards the right of the engine bay, behind the battery onto another push on fitting back there, so it's replaceable (tricky but do-able) but I cannot locate the name of the pipe or where to source it from.

I have seen people block+bypass this but I'm going to guess this will fail UK emissions tests, and not sure what that'll do to my economy.

Any ideas for a really frustrated person right now!

Attached Thumbnails EGR Solenoid pipe cracked-imag1711.jpg   EGR Solenoid pipe cracked-egr_diagram.jpg  
Old 02-13-2016, 02:27 PM

If your looking to replace this pipe I notice some plastic window wash pipes on some cars are about the same size. I notice there is a video on You Tube regarding screwing a self tapper inside this tube to blank it off hence stopping operation of the EGR valve. As too failing MOT, EGR isolated closed or blanked, these gas/fumes are not covered in MOT test. It has been noted on here that cars run the same if not better with EGR blanked off. But the question is, is the EGR opened by the vacuum or closed by the vacuum. Because isolating the EGR Solenoid could leave it open permanently, not good.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:51 PM

Ta goggsy m8, yeah I noticed the pipe isn't anything special so was thinking just to replace with a DIY job,just something safe at engine ambient temperature I reckon. Just old age and it went brittle and snapped.

I saw the same YouTube video on the screw in it and wondered the same, so I think I'll test it to see what state it leaves it in without working but get a pipe and DIY it long term.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:00 PM

Mind you isolating this pipe does nothing if the EGR is partially open due to carbon. So better to clean out or blank off.
Oh and important thing is, an alternative pipe must not have a smaller bore.

Last edited by goggs; 02-13-2016 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Add on.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:43 AM

Well, I'm going to source an alternative and replace it, but in the meantime i've done a bodge job on it!
This is a bit of superglue to hold the pipe back together in roughly the right place (It was a clean break of the pipe) and then used heat-shrink wrap pipe to create a reasonable seal around it. Hopefully will hold until I can replace.

For reference the pipe dimensions are 3mm inner diameter (bore) and 4mm overall diameter. And length is approximately 75mm.

Attached Thumbnails EGR Solenoid pipe cracked-egr_fixvalve.jpg  
Old 04-23-2016, 03:07 AM

PART No. K05149105AA £25 + vat from the main dealers last week....had egr/rough running problems...all sorted now

Old 04-25-2016, 07:38 AM

Gary is that for the pipe or the EGR solenoid? As it's just the pipe for mine that was cracked.
Have also searched for that part and nothing coming up at all.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by andyb2000
Gary is that for the pipe or the EGR solenoid? As it's just the pipe for mine that was cracked.
Have also searched for that part and nothing coming up at all.
Thats for the solenoid...just noticed on your pic the heatshrink repaired pipe...stupid me didnt read the post clearly DUH!!!!