Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR Valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
What I'm interested in for future info, is there any joints renewed on refitting the EGR..
not sure mate but I think it will be a gasket that should come , I will check if I remember in the morn what it comes with

Old 04-24-2015, 02:13 PM

For the 2004 ENJ 2.5CRD engine I'm coming up with 2 off gaskets, prob crush metal type, both 5083 261 AA on entrance and exit flanges of EGR. I would guess that 2.8 would be same if using same EGR. I wonder if Fleebay has them.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by goggs
For the 2004 ENJ 2.5CRD engine I'm coming up with 2 off gaskets, prob crush metal type, both 5083 261 AA on entrance and exit flanges of EGR. I would guess that 2.8 would be same if using same EGR. I wonder if Fleebay has them.
if they are metal I don't think you would need to change them , I found this on ebay , what is the blanking one for
EGR Blanking Block Plate Gasket GRAND CHEROKKE WJ/WG,XJ 2.5 TD,GRAND VOYAGER GS | eBay

Old 04-25-2015, 03:49 AM

The blanking plate is to blank off any exhaust gases from passing through the EGR valve and recirculating in the clean air intake. I have installed one on my 2.8crd as I was concerned about the amount of gunk and oil stuck to the boost pipe and intake manifold. I am getting the EGR deleted from the Ecu when it is remapped next month.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by royal100805
The blanking plate is to blank off any exhaust gases from passing through the EGR valve and recirculating in the clean air intake. I have installed one on my 2.8crd as I was concerned about the amount of gunk and oil stuck to the boost pipe and intake manifold. I am getting the EGR deleted from the Ecu when it is remapped next month.
i was told I could just pull the pipe from the egr valve and blank it , it will run better , how true is this

Old 04-26-2015, 05:18 AM

It depends on what side of the argument you are on. Some believe you will ruin your engine due to excess heat from not running the EGR. Others say better fuel economy and low down torque. I am a supporter of the latter. It was designed to reduce NOx going to atmosphere at the expense of reducing engine and component life especially if you have a DPF. If you get a chance look online or your own car at the inlet manifold clogged from EGR. I am getting mine remapped as the computer is still expecting to get exhaust gas through the system, luckily i haven't got any related codes yet but it will be affecting the fuel economy to some extent, either too rich or lean I have no idea how it is compensating. I just know that the inlet manifold is no longer being clogged and suffocated with soot and sludge.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:31 AM

Th euro 5 variants of EGR are the work of the devil. VOSA and the UK test industry have no test criteria for them [unlike the (Feb 2014) DPF removal]. Everyone has an opinion on should-a would-a etc but the fact is removal or blanking is legal. I'm also for the removal of the 'eat your own $hite valve', how in practice it influences the driveability depends on the vehicle software. I've had each and every one of the blanked on all my cars till my GV and they have all without exception given me back 3-5MPG, the only reason I've not done this one yet is I just have not bothered .. .. yet !

Old 04-28-2015, 05:14 PM

Used the egr spray and it DOES make a big difference. Before smoke would appear around 2500rpm now when I rev the engine up up to 4000rpm there is very little smoke

Old 04-29-2015, 12:53 AM

I asked a bloke at a garage yesterday who as been working on cars for years , I said is it ok to blank an egr valve off he said no it would cause all kinds of problems , I don't see how it just recirculates the exhaust gas , if you blank it off wouldn't it just run like there was no egr

Old 04-29-2015, 09:10 AM

That is absolute b***+^%s! Why didn't he go into more depth and explain why it would cause so much grief. Might of fixed cars for years, replacing EGR valves and the like but obviously doesn't know technically how they operate. EGR valves do not usually work on idle or high to max revs. They are more of a long term nuisance than a massive benefit in my opinion.

On some cars you have to drill a tiny hole in the blanking plate as the Ecu is very sensitive and needs to see a certain amount of gas recirculating else a management light will pop up. For example my mates Volvo v50 needed a 1.5mm hole. Also on some engines there is an anti judder valve to stop too much judder when the engine is switched off, mainly for comfort and not much else.

If you get a chance I would strongly suggest that you look inside a new intake manifold then look at one after 10's thousands of miles with an EGR fitted. It is shocking.

One key element of decent fuel economy and power is a process called volumetric efficiency. If the intake manifold has been reduced in circumference due to oily soot build up then there is no way fuel econom/efficiency of the engine is going to be the best it can. A second key element is that a car with a turbo usually has an intercooler, it's purpose being to cool the charged air down to improve volumetric efficiency. If you are recirculating hot exhaust gases, again this will not help get the maximum mpg out of your engine, however it does remove harmful NOx going to atmosphere which is great for the guys in Brussels but they aren't going to fit the bill for your engine repairs.

If you do go down the route of blanking off the EGR valve I do think it best to remap the ECU to get the best improvement in mpg however you don't have too. It just helps remove it from the ECU so it has one less parameter to change and counter for.

Quick Reply: EGR Valve