Go Back   Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums > Chrysler Vehicles > Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2009, 11:16 PM

Default EGR valve replacement on a 2005

Hi I have a 2005 T&C that had a P0406 error code and I was told the EGR valve needed to be cleaned or replaced. Can anyone tell me where it is located and what is the level of difficulty to replace it? If anyone has a diagram of what it looks like that would greatly be appreciated as well. Thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on ChryslerForum!
Old 01-12-2009, 01:47 AM

Default RE: EGR valve replacement on a 2005

Engine size?
Old 01-12-2009, 08:46 AM

Default RE: EGR valve replacement on a 2005

Sorry, it's a 6 cylinder 3.3 L engine. Thanks
Old 06-23-2009, 09:34 PM

Default P0406 Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymniblett View Post
Hi I have a 2005 T&C that had a P0406 error code and I was told the EGR valve needed to be cleaned or replaced. Can anyone tell me where it is located and what is the level of difficulty to replace it? If anyone has a diagram of what it looks like that would greatly be appreciated as well. Thanks!
Assuming a 3.3l engine [ I believe the 3.8l is same], replacing the EGR Valve is a piece of cake. This "valve" is the cylindrical-looking gismo just above the alternator on the left side of the engine as you face the motor from the front. It should cost around $70 at your local parts shop, and come with the gaskets. Replacing this part should be intuitive if you are somewhat mechanically inclined, and take less than one hour. Caution: wear gloves to prevent burns if the engine is hot. Four steps:
1. Disconnect the wire harness: Push the red plastic retainer to the right and wiggle the harness until completely loose. 2. Take off the two bolts holding the top pipe [8mm, I believe]. 3. Take off the two bolts holding the unit to the manifold [10mm]. The unit will be free after this step. Replace the unit and gaskets and bolt it on. Replace the wiring harness and you have it. The "Engine Light" will not automatically reset. You have to do this yourself if you have the tools, or have it done. Yes you can..
Old 06-27-2009, 03:54 PM

Watch the nuts/bolts as they are soft. I can't remember exactly how it attaches, but I stripped one taking it out and had to drill a hole sideways. Apparently the EGR valve on the '05 is bound to break as I had to replace mine like clockwork at 50K miles
Old 08-20-2009, 03:53 PM

Smile thanks mnboy!

Just a quick note to say "thanks" to mnboy for his post on replacing the EGR unit. I have a 2005 T&C with the 3.3 liter (100K miles) and was getting the engine light on and the P0406 error code. I'm a novice mechanic but it was fairly painless to do this procedure. The wire harness took more work to remove than I thought it would, but it finally came off. I had to make sure I wasn't replacing the 10mm bolts crooked and stripping the treads. It seemed like it wanted to try go in crooked so I had to pay close attention to that. I used a thinner 1/4 inch ratchet with an extension because it is so close to the alternator on the bottom 10mm bolt that it's tough to get a 3/8 ratchet in there.

My local dealer wanted $140 for the part. Found an online parts place in FL that was $95 including the shipping for the same part. Just had to wait a week for it to get to the west coast.

Thanks again, I appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge.

Ken
Old 05-04-2010, 09:19 AM

Default EGR valve gaskets

I'm planning to clean my EGR valve this weekend but I can't find the replacement gaskets anywhere. I've checked everywhere - ebay...you name it

Does anyone know of any websites/anywhere in the UK I can get a EGR gasket set from?

It's a 2001 grand voyager 3.3.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:28 PM

Default EGR Replacement 05 T & C

Additional note on the 3.8 engine. It may be neccessary to remove the serpintine belt and take the top alternator bolt out to move the alternator enough to get the bottom bolt out on the EGR valve. I've run acroos this on several units.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:28 PM

Tags
2005, 300, chrysler, code, cruiser, egr, hemi, p0406, pacifica, pt, replacement, stripped, threads, town, valve